What is eating holes in my fish?...BAD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I dunno whats going on guys...all my fish were fine...I got some new ones about a month ago, and they were all doing fine. Then all the sudden one of my tiger barbs starts swimming near the top (all water parameters are fine) Then it dies, I just figure that it was a fluke. Then one of my turqoise rainbows, then another, then the last. Then one of my Leopard Ctenopomas, then my Powder Blue gourami...Everyone that died seemed to have a bulge somewhere on the body the day before death. Then the next morning, when the fish was dead, A HOLE in the place where the bulge was. I've been treating for parasites, but I don't have ANY idea what this could be? Anyone? I don't wanna lose anymore fish. BTW I have a 90 gal, so its not overloaded. Can anyone help me please?

Parasites, try to determine what type you have. It sound like Hole In The Head where you see parasites living on a fish (usually its head), then the parasite burrows a hole right into the fish :|

Right - hole in the head, aka lateral line disease, would present like you say.

This will require some serious treatment, and it sounds like the whole tank is affected.

but its not even in the head, and I don't even see any parasites on the fish before death, even after death. I also have tons of plants, what treatment could I use that would be plant safe?

It doesn't always have to be in the head. I think you need something with metronidazole, perhaps HEX-A-MIT?

But if the fish won't eat then you got a problem.

Very very true!, which is why it is best to have both on hand. :wink: In a pinch if you dont have medfeed containging it, a simple gelatine set food with it added can be easily made (it works very well).

Back
Top Bottom