what is the best 5 gallon tank for a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother has a betta in a 1 gallon tank, and I have been telling him to put it in a five gallon tank. He doesn't know which one to get. The options are; fluval chi, aqueon mini bow 5, top fin aquascene 5, marineland eclipse hexagon 5, a plain 5 gallon rectangleand the fluval edge (its 6 gallons but still an option). What tank do you guys think would be best?

The cheapest one. ;)
But in all seriousness the plain 5 gallon works the best because it has maximized floorspace and horizontal swim room.

Personally, i would avoid the hex because it doesn't give a betta optimal horizontal swimming room. I also think the fluvial chi and edge are rather expensive, so I would just suggest getting a rectangle. If it was me, I would just get a rectangle and then run a sponge filter (since some bettas aren't crazy about current) and a heater. Up to you though (or him). I don't personally know about the ins and outs of all the various filters that come in any of those, but 1 betta will not be a big strain on a filter anyway, and I am assuming you will be on him about doing proper water changes. :)

Oh yeah, also, I got a 5g minibow and the filter crapped out on me after just a couple of years, so I am a fan of those tanks. Buying a replacement filter cost almost as much as just getting a whole tank set-up.

I think the plain rectangle is best. That way it is more customizable. I will probably have him get an aquaclear mini or something similar just because I have OCD. Lol

My betta is doing beautifully as the king of his plain ol' rectangle Walmart 5g. It was only 26 bucks and comes with a hob filter. I spent about 5 or 6 more dollars on a little heater that keeps his tank a cozy 80 degrees. It isn't adjustable, but my house stays a fairly constant 74, and so that cheap heater is enough to keep him at a steady, optimum temp.

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO style-wise Fluval Edges are the best. They're very cool-looking and have enough horizontal swimming room for Bettas :)

But I have heard its hard to get fish out of it with such a small opening... is that true?

maxwellag said:
But I have heard its hard to get fish out of it with such a small opening... is that true?

I'm not sure. I saw one once, and I opened it. Thought it was a big opening, but that was six months ago. My memory is not very good.

I like the minibows. I kept a betta in a fluval chi for a while also which looked really nice. I wouldn't do the fluval edge because I'd feel bad about not letting the betta have a large area to surface for air, and if I lowered the water level it'd defeat the intended look.

jetajockey said:
I like the minibows. I kept a betta in a fluval chi for a while also which looked really nice. I wouldn't do the fluval edge because I'd feel bad about not letting the betta have a large area to surface for air, and if I lowered the water level it'd defeat the intended look.

Thats what I was thinking. I'd get a cheeper one with a large surface area sothe betta has good access to the air.

Alright, the edge has been crossed out.... still considering the others.

I have the fluval chi. Its open top so be careful if the fish like to jump. the filter is not the greatest nor is the light if you have plants. (from what I heard). So I upgraded the filter and light... But honestly, I dont like the shape anymore...and IMO the price for it is not worth it.

I would advise getting the walmart set, that tank is good.

Brandonaki360 said:
I have the fluval chi. Its open top so be careful if the fish like to jump. the filter is not the greatest nor is the light if you have plants. (from what I heard). So I upgraded the filter and light... But honestly, I dont like the shape anymore...and IMO the price for it is not worth it.

I would advise getting the walmart set, that tank is good.

I have a chi as well, but was advised not to put in a betta because they like longer tanks.

However having said that, if you like the design and can get it cheap like 50 to 65 then it might be a good deal. I spent about 70 beause I got mine online and shipped to Hawaii.....little did I know petco had it for around 60....

A 5g hex isn't that bad. I have my favorite betta in one. The issue with it is that they are the "all in one" set-up. If something breaks, you can't simply replace it. You have to order from the company. But, used ones are everywhere. I have seen multiple sitting in the same Goodwill.

maxwellag said:
I have a chi as well, but was advised not to put in a betta because they like longer tanks.

Thats true too. Less swimming space in that tank.

I just bought my two grandson's a five gallon kit today! I did look at the other choices, for the money and swimming space you can't bet the five gallon kit. :) would have liked to got them a ten gallon but I promised mom and dad nothing bigger than five.......for now!!! :)

My brother also likes the fluval spec. It is only two gallons so I told him its probably too small. It does have a pretty impressive overflow filter built in.

My brother's favorite right now is the fluval spec.... but it costs the same as most of these five gallon tanks and the five gallons are bigger. So I told him that. The five gallon he likes most right now is the Marineland Corner 5 gallon kit. It comes with a whisper filter, so it isn't the best, but if he gets it I will probably have him geg a better filter like the fluval u1 or the fluval mini (an underwater filter with a spray bar that comes with the fluval flora and ebi).
I will try to post a link of the corner tank. It has 16 LED lights. Is that good for plants?

Back
Top Bottom