What is this clear stripe on my neon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
uploadfromtaptalk1393293424377.jpg

It may not be anything, but one of my tetras (the top one) has a clear vertical stripe from the leading edge of his dorsal down. It's only on one side and the other side has normal color. I had just did a 60% water change a couple hours prior to noticing it and I also stirred the gravel immediately prior. Otherwise he seems 100% A-OK. Could I have "nailed" this one inadvertantly to bruise him?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I had them a month in this tank after quarantining them a week for observation. I now have had Stripe in a quarantine tank for 3 days. Catching him left him ruined and he laid upside down on bottom for 45 minutes afterward before recovering. Now appears to be fine again. Still goes crazy for bloodworms and TetraMin™.

What other fishies do you have in the tank?

Does the fishy that has lost some color school with the other neons regularly? Or does this fishy hangout by his or herself from time to time?

The only fish not shown is a otto cat. The affected fish shoals with the crew as shown.

This is a symptom of both neon tetra disease and false neon tetra disease. I've never had false neon disease in my tank but I hear that it is treatable with Maracyn.

Normal neon disease is very contagious and has a high mortality rate. It would be wise to quarantine the affected fish and begin treating them all for false neon disease. Keep an eye on all of them and post any additional symptoms they display. Move any fish that loses its color near the dorsal fin to quarantine.

If the affected fish begins to bloat such that its spine curves you may find it humane to euthanize it.

That's what I was thinking it could be. I was hoping not though. I hear real NTD gets all affected fish.

That's what I was thinking it could be. I was hoping not though. I hear real NTD gets all affected fish.

It definitely can spread rapidly and wipe out your entire stock. You were quick to act and quarantining was the first step. I used API triple sulfa when I had FNTD and upped my water change regime to 50% twice a week. 3 of my neons were showing signs one of which I was certain would die. I read higher water temps speed up the infection but lowering the temp will not effect the outcome. Having said that. All my neons have recovered.

So far, it looks like mine is getting his flavor back. I may have to "chase" him a minute to be sure to check his stamina.

So far, it looks like mine is getting his flavor back. I may have to "chase" him a minute to be sure to check his stamina.

Ok just be sure to boil and sterilise things like nets as it can easily be transferred from tank to tank.

I use bleach. Plenty of bleach.

Back
Top Bottom