What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plexifan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This thing grew out of nowhere, at least not where i could see it. it looks and acts like a polyp but more sinister looking with long sharp pointed tentacles. its mouth looks like a polyps mouth and when he catches food it closes up and when it swallows you can see the food inside the body tube because hes kind of transparent. any help of specifics would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• 2011-09-24 16.30.46.jpg
    2011-09-24 16.30.46.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 2011-09-24 16.34.08.jpg
    2011-09-24 16.34.08.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 80
That is aipastia, a very nasty little anemone pest. You can inject them in the mouth with a kalkwasser paste or with some aipatisa X or Joe's juice. They can spread really quick so make sure you really get it. they will retract too so its important to get the mouth and really get in there.

dang really? hes so cool looking lol. ill have to go to the store tomorrow. will those pesticides hurt anything else?

Nope, reef safe. :) Just make sure to get them good or they WILL spread. I have a tank full of them, luckily it's just my QT tank but I've been getting them when I can. Hardy little buggers they are.

Peppermint shrimp CAN eat them but I;ve had no luck with mine getting them. lol It's hit or miss plus they don't often eat the big ones so you have to inject them anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom