What kind of Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just started running my tank lights in 12 hr. cycles. My lr is a mix of Fiji and cultured that has been curing for 3-4 weeks. I just noticed some red algae growing on the top surfaces of the cultured lr (pictured here) but not sure whether it's good or bad.

It's the reddish looking stuff on the top side of the center rock.
40755654lg.jpg

It looks like red slim algae to me.Red slim algae is a bad algae to have and can take over your tank quickly.Most LFS carry a red slim remover.I do not remember the exact name on the tube but it is at most LFS that sell saltwater supplies.I have not used it personaly but know of people who have with good results.Hope this helps.

I would actually recommend against chemical additives for these kinds of issues. They only eliminate the appearance of the problem for a short time. They do nothing to eliminate the cause. Red slime removers work on the organic nutrient in the water which may fuel the continued growth but is not the cause. Phosphates are the direct cause of cyano. Eliminate/remove the PO4 and the cyano (as well as other nuisance green algaes) will crash.

Increased water changes with RO water, careful feedings of prefab foods (very high contributor) and possibley using an iron based PO4 granular sponge for high levels are the best means. Making your own foods can also help as you are the one that controls what goes in the tank.

Although the dramatic increase in photoperiod is the catalyst, it's not the cause. You can reduce the photoperiod quite a bit while you try to get this under control. Providing you have not already added any corals that is. Best to increase the photo period by ½ hr or so every few days until you reach the desired full photoperiod. Start with 2-3 hr a day for the first week or so.

Cheers
Steve

Steve-s, Ducky -

Thanks for your quick replies and advice. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to make RO water at this time. I also may have some plumbing issues (septic sys) that may prevent me from having this capability at my home). So, I have taken the 1st step and reduced the photoperiod and will gradually increase once treatment of the aglae has recognizable results (no corals yet). I will get a PO4 test kit and see what I've got going on in my tap water.

Currently, I have 2 chromis and feeding consists of small amount of frozen brine shrimp flake food. They are voracious eaters but I'm careful not to let any remains linger in the tank... but can only do so much.

Steve-s, is "an iron based PO4 granular sponge" something I should have in lieu of RO water? Not familiar with this.

I've heard of folks using distilled water that indicates RO on label as a alternative to making their own RO water. Is this safe assuming price point is acceptable?

Thanks again for your time and experience on this!

Jerry

If you have a Walmart or Krogers near you both have RO units in there stores and sale the RO water from them by the gallon.My brother gets it from both stores here.He has been using it for about 2 years now with out any problem.I think he said it cost like .30 a gallon.
Ducky

jmc said:
Currently, I have 2 chromis and feeding consists of small amount of frozen brine shrimp flake food. They are voracious eaters but I'm careful not to let any remains linger in the tank... but can only do so much.
If your tap water turns out clean (which I doubt) then this will also be a high contributor. Be sure you test the main tanks water for PO4 as well. Flake foods are lousy with PO4 as a rule. They are a good food for supplimentation but I would not suggest using them as the main staple. Try mixing it up a bit and include mysis or freshly made minced raw seafoods.

Steve-s, is "an iron based PO4 granular sponge" something I should have in lieu of RO water? Not familiar with this.
There are two main types of PO4 sponges, aluminum and iron based. Both are granular meaning they look like white/beige carbon or smooth round beads. Aluminum based products can adversely affect corals and cause some to completely bleach or expell some zooxanthellae. Iron based types have been known to affect Acropora sp corals but since I have none, I cannot verify that. The aluminum based one I can though so be careful which you use if there are corals in the tank. If no corals you should be fine just be sure the skimmer is working well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom