What kind of Betta do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Persian Guppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend purchased this baby Betta from petco a few months ago. She couldn't take care of it, I have a 10 g tank with Guppies and Platys. I have had this Betta for a month now.*

I would like to know what kind of Betta Fish this is going to be if you can tell. Maybe even post a pic of a older version. Also if it's a male or female so I can prepare. I heard you can't have a male with male guppies in the same tank.*

Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here are pics

Attachments

• 1406640057384.jpg
    1406640057384.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 1406640072941.jpg
    1406640072941.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1406640088791.jpg
    1406640088791.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1406640108860.jpg
    1406640108860.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 83
I would say a female veiltail. She is very pretty. You are taking good care of her. :) You may want to start feeding hikari bio gold.

How many platies/guppies do you have?

Also keep an eye on your parameters as platies and guppies can place quite a load on the tank depending on how many you have.

Best of luck with your veiltail! - Raymond

Aren't Female Bettas worse then male Betta as a tank mate to Platys and Guppies ? She seemed terrified of the Platys. She ignores the female Guppy but shows aggression towards my male guppies . She also has 2 long drippy arms hanging below her mouth what r those?

Just some fins. I believe that she will be okay assuming she has enough space. I would invest in a 20 long with a lot of hiding places so she can chill. You should put the betta in last if you do choose to go for the twenty. If not it would be safe to obtain a second 10 gallon or a 5.5 gallon and put your betta in that. Remember to take some used filter media from your current tank so the other tank will be cycled.

How can u tell she is female vs a male ? Generally speaking between male and female Bettas . She does like to hide.. Any idea why male guppies r her target? I thought only male Bettas get jealousy of the tail

Well it isn't really jealously. Bettas just don't (usually) like other bettas. The exception is when you have a sorority. I would get a 5.5 for her so she can have her own space. You could stock it with a shrimp and a few snails.

I've kept quite a few bettas and that definitely looks like a female. It has shorter finnage and it appears to have an egg spot.. Check to see if it does have the egg spot. It will be on the bottom if the stomach area, right before the long fin on bottom.

Thank you for the advice I already have a 5.5 tank I use for smaller weaker fish .. so far she has been successful in the bigger tank. I'll keep my eye out see if she gets more aggressive as she gets bigger.

Alrighty. I hope she fits into the community well. Just a tip, if she does get more agressive, take her out of the tank, do a water change and rearrange everything in the tank. Then when you put her back in she will be unused to the terrain and will think twice before acting like the whole tank is hers. :)

Best wishes, - Raymond

Back
Top Bottom