What kind of Crabs are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spazz67

Aquarium Advice Regular
We've got some hitch hikers from the oyster clusters. I caught them and put them in a breedery. Two types of crabs. Sorry for the blurry pictures but I'll discribe them as best I can.
The first one is about the size of dime, with two large claws, out of the water he is black but in the water he is light and spotted.
crabs 002.jpg
The other is about half this size, brown to light brown, one claw is bigger than the other. There's 7 of these in diffrent sizes but claws are all the same. crabs 007.jpg

Hard to tell much from the pics. The first one, can you describe the claws a bit better? Are they flat? Kinda looks like a filter feeding crab. The second sounds like a rock crab.

I would cast them all into the sump. Those claws look huge..and they must be for a reason.

If it is a filter feeder, you will see at it's mouth some feather like appendages that it sends out to filter the water. As for the rock crabs, they will become a problem as they get larger. That said, I agree with ccCapt that a sump or fuge area is the best place for them (even the filter feeder since I can't really give you a positive ID with the picture provided) to avoid any trouble in the future. They can earn thier keep there as part of the clean up crew.

Thank you so much, Fluff and ccCapt, I looked up filter feeders an found a pic identical to what I got. PorcelainCrab.jpg The other guys They don't look like rock crabs, they are seashell shaped and have three trangles on their backs and looks camo on their backs

Another way to sometimes get decent close-up shots is (don't laugh)...get a magnifying glass and take a picture through the magnifying glass. It works--honest!

Good idea JohnPaul :)

Spazz, I don't think anyone will be able to give you a clear answer without a better picture, sorry. I would follow the adivce of everywhere else and err on the side of caution and put it in your sump if you have one.

I took them to the pet store yesterday and the big one is a Porcelain Crab, and the others are a type of matrix crab. But they are still going in the sump.

Back
Top Bottom