What kind of fish are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw this picture online and I was ordering what kind of cichlids are these? Like the big blue one and the little yellow and orange ones. And I see a red parrot cichlid in this mix as well. I thought you weren't suppose to mix

image-3170122571.jpg

Africans with other cichlids?

They're all cichlids, just from different lakes/regions. The blues I don't know, can't get a good look at em. The yellows are yellow labs.

Lady_Alia said:
They're all cichlids, just from different lakes/regions. The blues I don't know, can't get a good look at em. The yellows are yellow labs.

Agreed

Mixing lakes/regions of African cichlids is a lot better then mixing African cichlids with cichlids of the America's. With that said, it is still "best" to pick one lake and stick to those fish as the water requirements, etc are different for each.

Then again, if they aren't wild caught chances are they came from much more similar water. I have mainly mbuna's but I do have a couple fish in my 90 from a different lake.

kelbaker79 said:
The blue one is a Cyrtocara Moorii (Dolphin Cichlid)

That's what I was thinking, but since I use my phone to browse AA I couldn't get a good look at it.

Lady_Alia said:
That's what I was thinking, but since I use my phone to browse AA I couldn't get a good look at it.

Yep me too! I had to do a double take, then look again to be sure...lol

Okay well a red parrot cichlid is a mix between a south American and central American cichlid. So I thought you weren't suppose to mix them with African cichlids?

Helloelliee said:
Okay well a red parrot cichlid is a mix between a south American and central American cichlid. So I thought you weren't suppose to mix them with African cichlids?

You're right, you should mix cichlids. Whether it African/SA/CA or whether it's lake tang/lake Malawi/lake Victoria. They have different water and dietary needs.

The parrot fish, though cute, is a hybrid.

I see a couple parrot fish, silver dollar, and a few peacocks along with yellow Lab's and a frontosa. Somebody obviously doesn't care about what's good for the fish, just stuck whatever struck their fancy together in a tank.

toddnbecka said:
I see a couple parrot fish, silver dollar, and a few peacocks along with yellow Lab's and a frontosa. Somebody obviously doesn't care about what's good for the fish, just stuck whatever struck their fancy together in a tank.

Will it hurt the fish being mixed like that? Is there a such thing as a happy medium when u have several species n the same tank cause I believe I'm n the same boat :(

Back
Top Bottom