What kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sideways

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I recently moved to Japan from California. Its been a bit more of a task to start back up than I had imagined.

Anyways I saw this at the lfs and dont remember seeing this fish back home. Unfortunately all of the signs are in Japanese so that didnt do me much good.

It was the size of a quarter roughly. Thanks!

4692528105_3163da8bb4.jpg

Little green spotted puffer , brackish fish can go salt water over months time (I had a couple and they went full salt and are still thriving they just got too big this was 5 years ago or a bit longer :D ) They are generally found in the fresh water section of the LFS , they are agressive and need a 30 gallon or larger tank...
They are very messy fish so good skimming and filtration is required ..
They do not have scales and can be cut by scratching on rough substrate or even LR .... They are also a very friendly fish by all accounts and will greet you , they always act hungry ,and will beg . They are neat lil fish by all accounts and not for a beginer , tho they are easy the beginer will become over whelmed by the ammount of care they require , They will eat most if not all your clean up crew and I do not believe they are considered reef safe tho may be ok if watched , each fish differs ....
They have beaks that need trimmed ,, by eating crustations ...
They are known as fugu in japan (I believe I spelled that correct) they produce nurotoxins if not properly prepared ... (that is if you are eating them)
They will puff if frightened so care is needed not to frighten the lil guys .... HTH :D

Welcome to AA! :)

I agree with Sadie, it's a GSP and a fish to best suited to a species tank.

Thank you! That was very helpful. No wonder I dont remember seeing it back in the states.

My first thought was also a boxfish, then I checked the gsp pics and agree that's what it is.

Never doubt Sadielynn on an ID ;)
Thank you bu t I dont get them all :D I do miss more often than you know ;)
Those fish atleast here are very common and sell for about 6 bucks apiece here ...

Back
Top Bottom