What kind of starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most cant be exposed to air.

I've always been suspicious of this as many live in tidal zones and are housed in touch tanks at aquariums where ppl take them out of the water all the time. I'm curious where the no air exposure saying comes from.

I guess I meant te scientific backing lol. I've taken my serpent star out of the water before with no ill effects. Maybe it's just the deeper water species like linckias and fromias.

Liveaquaria is probably one of the most reputable folks out there. Im also not talking brittle or serpant. I'm talking regular stars.

While I agree liveaquaria is a very reputable site of information. They state brittle and serpents shouldn't be exposed to air either which from experience is not true. I'm still curious as to why biologically they cannot be exposed as many intertidal stars are frequently exposed to air. Like in what ways it harms them
Edit: here's a thread from reefcentral where people are saying it does not matter as long as it's not prolonged exposure http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497693

Melosu you have a lot more experience with these guys than me so I'd take your advice in a heartbeat. :). I guess I was just wondering if there were any papers or anything on it, I'm curious

I bought it at a local fish store. They did tell me what it was but I forgot by the time I got home and got him in. And I only exposed him to air for long enough to take a picture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom