what "machineries" do you really need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buggsmarinetank

Aquarium Advice Regular
im new to saltwater, and I am wondering what you really need.

There are so many different type of things out there, trickles, sumps, skimmers, canisters, and reguler filters. Which combination is really needed, and which may be a waste of money?

LS is not necessary, and you can save quite a bit of money buy simply buying aragonite based sand, and allowing your live rock to seed it, making it live sand.

If you decide to go the live sand live rock route (which I highly recommend, but is not nessisary) besure you do your research FIRST and not later (like I did) or it will cost extra $$$ and you will be discouraged.

Good luck!!!!

I agree that lr and ls and a skimmer are good for a tank but I personally don't see how it pulls out the big stuff I have used this method and it required more work on my part with water changes and keep up. I like the Wet/dry filter myself. If set up correctly you will have crystal clear water and do a water change once every couple of months instead of weeks or even days.

A ton of people will get on me about the wet dry and nitrates, but I tell you, if you checked my tank of 5 years you will not find any nitrates, nitrites or ammonia. (I just checked 10min ago) I have spent a lot of time on researching filters and if done right you will have very good water and it will be crystal clear.

help me then cause i got a wet/dry, set up in feb and am struggling with nitrates. but my lfs uses them very successfully and once i get my nitrates under control i will be very happy cause it is a great filter.

lets start by, how is it set up now. what size tank is it on, what kind of sump and what are your current nitrates reading.

If you want to start a new string(topic) that would be good, because there will be a lot of comments from everyone on the board about this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom