What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always loved animals, my goldfish journey started when I went pet shop and was looking at fish and kept seeing dead ones floating at the top, I said to partner I'm rescuing its tank mates,( well my exact words were to explicit to put on here, along with if they are with me I no they will be well looked after) they survived with some tlc, and now I have goldfish, black Moore, rhino pleco, albino corys( got 4 baby's over a month old off the 2 I had can't wait to put them in same tank) 3 terrapins, this house is like a zoo with animals, got a pond outside but it's for frogs and toads( was going to put fish in till I found out they will try and eat frogs aswell as the eggs) love my fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My boyfriend and I decided to set up a freshwater fish tank in the early days of our relationship. We agreed to the tank to compromise for getting a "pet" like a dog or cat. Little did either of us know that we'd come to love our fish and view them as what they are "our pets". In the future I'm sure we'll upgrade to another bigger tank and we also have dreams of having a saltwater tank as well =]

Added a 30g rated canister filter to my 20g tall tank. Already have A 20 g filter installed on it but with this additional filter power my water is clearer than ever.

Also pruned back about 60% of my plants and replanted the uprooted ones into the substrate. Looking pretty good.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407451158.489256.jpg

Also added a blue crayfish into my tank a bit ago and he's doing well. Maybe she, I can't sex them. It's hiding right now so I'll get a better pic at a later time.

Added a 30g rated canister filter to my 20g tall tank. Already have A 20 g filter installed on it but with this additional filter power my water is clearer than ever.

Also pruned back about 60% of my plants and replanted the uprooted ones into the substrate. Looking pretty good.
View attachment 245987

Also added a blue crayfish into my tank a bit ago and he's doing well. Maybe she, I can't sex them. It's hiding right now so I'll get a better pic at a later time.

Doesn't this belong in the "What did you do with your tank today" thread?

Yeah you're right, I had a little trouble navigating to the right thread I guess

I can't remember a time we didn't have at least one tank set up in the house! We are big animal fans and living out in the country, we rescue a lot of strays (at one point, we even had 8 cats in the house and our most dogs at once stopped at 8 as well)! I just enjoy having the fish in my room, they help reduce the stress of school. I've taken the hobby farther than the rest of my family and have done a good deal of research but overall, I just love fish!

My family and I go to the Tennessee Aquarium every year on spring break for about 5 years now! I absolutely love seeing all the different species of fish! They have some beautiful tanks varying to freshwater to salt! My dream would be to work as marine biologist at the aquarium! So this is what let me to be addicted to fish keeping! In the years I started off with a beta in a bowl. Upgraded to a 5 gallon guppy tank! I was so excited when they had fry! So then i upgraded to a 20g finally had my first "big" tank! I had no idea what i was doing i had over 40 guppies 1 huge angelfish,pleco(huge), peacock ell 4 mystery snails and 5 mollys! WAY OVERSTOCKED! I know, Suprisingly they all lived in that thing for about a year! But now i know better! I finally upgraded to my 55g! Its been up and going for about a year and half! And tomorrow im getting a 40 gallon im so excited its going to look all natural driftwood and real plants! I absolutely love this hobby and wouldn't have it any other way! :)

When my sister & her husband moved back home they brought his 100+ gallon tank with them. It was an incredible aquarium not just due to its immense size but because of the diversity of the fish in it. It was a planted tank with driftwood and rocks, a catfish, a clown loach, a couple of red tail sharks, and many others. It was big and colorful and with a diverse population I could sit there on the sofa watching it for hours.

I think almost every kid is fascinated by aquariums, but my brother-in-law's incredible tank was the beginning of my desire for a tank of my own. I wouldn't get one of my own until years later, after I got married.

After our son was born we visited my wife's aunt and uncle in Chicago, and my son was fascinated by the fish tank they had. They lived with my wife's aunt's mom (great aunty) and after watching my son staring in rapt wonder into the tank every day she gave us $100 to buy a tank of our own when we got back home.

A couple of years went by, and then we got news that great aunty was coming to visit...and the fish tank was mentioned...the fish tank we never bought. Uh oh.

And that was how I got an aquarium. Yes, me. You wouldn't expect a 5-year old to take care of fish, would you? :fish1::confused::fish2:

I got mine because it was a bargen, fluval roma 125 with all accessories, gravel, decor and some 20+ fish for £50, since then I can't help but to try and improve it, if I had more money I would super size and possibly upgrade to a marine tank in a heart beat.

Sent from my C6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got a betta without doing any real research and noticed he wasn't doing well in his plain old bowl. After looking up betas I realised that I was probably killing the poor thing so I went straight out to get a bigger tank with heater, lighting etc.. after moving my betta to his huge tank I realised I could probably get more fish so I researched some more and now I have a nice little community aquarium and may be setting up another tank soon.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I absolutely love animals and have always wanted an aquarium. I love how relaxing it is to watch fish! I'm setting up my first aquarium next week. Then I'll have to cycle it and then add my cutie pies!

NatureFish
????

I never wanted one. I always had a fascination with fish and the under water world. I was given a complete set up by a relative who was no longer able to care for the tank. I took it reluctantly and was forced to set it up as there were still fish in it. This set off a trigger in my head and 6 years later and many thousands of pounds later I am completely mad about the hobby despite it driving me mad at times.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was 13 when I decide that I wanted a fishtank. I am not really sure why I wanted this tank, but I did. So I started campaigning to get a tank, and surprisingly, it only took a month for my parents to cave (it took them over a year to let my sister have her hamster). So I went to the fish store and got some fish. I didn't know anything about the cycling thing, or the pwc thing, or the feeding thing. I fed them a whatever amount twice a day, changed as little water as possible once a week, and watched the fish die. I lost 66% of them before it fisnished cycling. I read up on all that stuff, and I currently have a 29 gal with a red tailed shark and a pair of angels, and a fifteen with an angel and some tetras.

When I got my first freshwater tank, a 26 gallon "show" style, I went with fresh water because saltwater keeping was almost non-existent and reserved for the wealthy and adventurous.
That was over 40 years ago and since then I have many different set-ups of both salt and fresh.
But overall I feel freshwater offers more in the way of creating a more natural and aesthetically pleasing scape/look than is possible with saltwater without investing multiple thousands of $$$ and years.

I wanted to be a marine biologist since I was 5 years old. So when I was 9 my mom told me in the fall to do my research and she'd get me one. This was a horrifying mistake becuase I didn't shut up about it the entire fall. She got me a 26 gallon bowfront for christmas. This was an even more horrifying mistake because I kept wanting more and more, until in 7th grade she got me a 55 and then a 150 gallon tank. And the whole time I still didn't shut up about it. Bless her heart.

And lo and behold, here I am at the University of Maine studying Marine Science/Aquaculture (and math). Fishkeeping is a hobby that builds you up as a person!

I wanted to be a marine biologist since I was 5 years old. So when I was 9 my mom told me in the fall to do my research and she'd get me one. This was a horrifying mistake becuase I didn't shut up about it the entire fall. She got me a 26 gallon bowfront for christmas. This was an even more horrifying mistake because I kept wanting more and more, until in 7th grade she got me a 55 and then a 150 gallon tank. And the whole time I still didn't shut up about it. Bless her heart.

And lo and behold, here I am at the University of Maine studying Marine Science/Aquaculture (and math). Fishkeeping is a hobby that builds you up as a person!

Wow! That's incredible! I can't wait to start my first reef tank! Poor parents I can't shut up about this either!

NatureFish
????

Wow! That's incredible! I can't wait to start my first reef tank! Poor parents I can't shut up about this either!

NatureFish
????

I'm the same way us fish fanatics must have understanding parents

I think mine finally got me a ten gallon because I wouldn't be quiet about it!

NatureFish
????

I think mine finally got me a ten gallon because I wouldn't be quiet about it!

NatureFish
��������

I wish my parents let me get a saltwater tank! All I ever had was freshwater, even a 150 gallon freshwater was cheaper than a small saltwater. And ironically, I find myself leaning heavily towards freshwater and anadromous/catadromous fish biology for my career, after so much experience with freshwater fish!

My parents were just glad I was so passionate about something constructive, especially something I wanted to make a decent career out of, so they didnt mind shelling out for fish tanks and listening to me go on about it. Better learning science through fish tanks than something unconstrustive like TV or something destructive like drugs.

I wish my parents let me get a saltwater tank! All I ever had was freshwater, even a 150 gallon freshwater was cheaper than a small saltwater. And ironically, I find myself leaning heavily towards freshwater and anadromous/catadromous fish biology for my career, after so much experience with freshwater fish!

My parents were just glad I was so passionate about something constructive, especially something I wanted to make a decent career out of, so they didnt mind shelling out for fish tanks and listening to me go on about it. Better learning science through fish tanks than something unconstrustive like TV or something destructive like drugs.

Saltwaters don't cost a ton the only difference in price is because of a few pieces of equipment and marine mix and live rock and of course the animals.... Oh yea I believe I have just proven your point!

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom