What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had gold fish years ago and after I became a mother, I ran out of time to maintain the fish properly. When my eldest turned three we bought her some goldfish for her birthday. After not much luck in keeping them alive and constantly admiring tropical fish in the local shop. I bought a little tank and started keeping neon tetras. Now I have a 3ft tank with s few different types of fish in it. My kids love it and it is something we can do together.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had gold fish years ago and after I became a mother, I ran out of time to maintain the fish properly. When my eldest turned three we bought her some goldfish for her birthday. After not much luck in keeping them alive and constantly admiring tropical fish in the local shop. I bought a little tank and started keeping neon tetras. Now I have a 3ft tank with s few different types of fish in it. My kids love it and it is something we can do together.

That is awesome you sound like a great mother. Wish you luck with your fishy's. I to am a parent. I have 2 kids who are 11,15 yrs old. They could care less about my fish lol so enjoy your time with the kids while you can because they grow so quickly before you know it they are doing there own thing. I have 4 tanks and they are my pride and joy. The nice thing about the kids being older is having them do water changes for me on occasion. Haha

Never indulged in pets. Now after ki ds are teenaged, kept my first aquarium -Nano planted. Great experience. Now setting up the second tank 20g planted angelfish tank. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I grew up around aquariums, as my Father is also an hobbyist. He started with FW, and moved on through FOWLR and now he's maintaining a gorgeous reef tank.

I was definitely influenced by that, and had various small tanks as a kid. When I picked the hobby back up as an adult, FW was appealing to me because locally, there was just more selection of fish. Also it seemed like it was less expensive to get into FW - I learned that wasn't necessarily true after getting into high-tech planted tanks! Seeing all the beautiful pictures of planted tanks was definitely an inspiration as well.

I've had a small fw aquarium for a few years, and I really like caring for the fish and plants. My beloved cat recently passed away, and I find that spending time caring for and hanging out by the aquarium has helped me deal with the stress that has come with my loss. Pet therapy is real!

There's a popular aquarium on the boardwalk that I've gone to since I was six. Before the first time I went, my mother bought me a book about ocean life to prepare me for some of the things I would be seeing during our visit. That book thrilled me! I absolutely adore all types of aquatic creatures, especially marine ones. I've been in love with the sea for as long as I can remember.

Realistically, I haven't had the opportunity to start a tank until recently. I want to start with a freshwater tank because I know they're easier to maintain and I'm very much a beginner. I'm so excited about my new tank!

My major influence for the fish keeping hobby in 2010. My family and I went to China for summer vacation to visit my dad doing overseas work there. After 3 weeks of touring throughout China we got to his workplace we got had nothing to do. My sisters went to meet up with their friends they met from our tours and my parents were stuck with me. To get rid of me my dad for asked his friend Alex to babysit me. He had this monster 300 gallon tank that had a arowana, a Florida gar, parrot fish and a giant catfish(I think it was a iridescent shark or a paroon shark). That month of him babysitting me I watched him feed the fish using feeders and he would take me to the aquarium store and I would see all types of monster fish in that one little store. My favorite was the tiger shovel nose. This monster fish tank memory would stay with me for the rest of my life and I will one day get a tank like that. Now im fourteen and I have my own pet room stocked with 5 tanks 4 ten gallons and one twenty. Of course I made many mistakes on the way and kill some fish but I now I've learned from them and by next year I want to try a brackish tank or a cichlid tank.

Honestly, this was a complete accident for me. My girlfriend bought home a comet goldfish from the fair, and when he survived his fourth month with us, we decided that we needed to give him some room to start growing and plan for his continued growth. This has led us into a plan for multiple tanks over the course of the next year or so and in my case, borderline obsession with the particulars of the hobby. I have plans for a 10 gallon small coldwater community, a 20 or 29 gallon planted tropical, and a 40 gallon coldwater community.

My story is got a 10 gal for my bday 8 years ago (I'm 15) parents liked the idea but I was to young to do any cleaning to it so they took the tank out in the garage so 4 months ago I bought a 20 gal with my own money and they said keep it clean and so I did some talking with them to put up the 10 gallon and 20 gallon at the same time and they agreed so I have 2 tanks the 20 gal for 4 months going on five shortly and the 10 gal for 3 going on 4 shortly as well. I only had 3 fish die they were neon tetras so yeah fragile fish

I've always been fascinated by aquatics creatures. What really got me interested in tanks, though, was when my boyfriend asked for a turtle for his birthday (jokingly, of course). What he didn't know was that I went the extra mile and granted his wish! Ever since last March we've raised a little four inch red ear slider into a handsome (rather large and still healthily growing away) man. We've battled nematodes and worms from infected grasshoppers, learned our lessons about tank size and feeding times, and decorated his new 75 gallon palace. Tim (our turtle lol) is what got me into aquatics creatures and I'm afraid I won't stop with my current fish.

I had spotted some glofish zebra danios and absolutely fell in love. He bought them for me for Christmas along with a tank setup and cleaning supplies, bless his soul. I recently set them up and, between these new fellas and old tim, I'm sure the workers at petsmart have our faces memorized. We just can't get enough of things that swim!:)

I loved my dad's aquarium when I was young. I could spend hours watching the fish. The first expensive thing I ever bought for myself was an aquarium. The only time I didn't have one was a few years when I lived in an apartment that didn't allow them. Now that I have my own place I'm starting the hobby back up and the greatest part is I have three wonderful children who can't wait to wake up and feed the fish with daddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just kind of stumbled into it. I thought it would be fun to get some fish since we're living in a no pet apartment, so I started doing a bit of homework. I think I was in love with the hobby before we even bought a tank. It's been loads of fun ever since, and now I plan on being a life-long aquarist!

I got into the hobby because my best boy Jake a male orange tabby was in renal failure. Being a Veterinary Technician for 13 years I knew the end result all too well. I needed to stay positive and do something relaxing . I was always infatuated with aquatic life and purchased a 5 gallon (long story), but it was a disaster. I then became determined and obsessed at the same time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha Stacey - determined and obsessed that's a great way to put it. Sorry to hear about your cat :(

Thank you Eggheadfish , but I needed an outlet I think. I see a lot of sad things sometimes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hear you. It was nice when I started to alleviate stress but now I think I stress more about my tanks than anything else haha.

Back
Top Bottom