What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my first 15 gallon from my mom. (She has to many tanks- various sizes- to count) My dad had bought it and a 29 gallon at a yard sale for $20.00. I put live plants, neons, danios and corys in it. Well my husband decided he like the tank and wanted a bigger one. We moved everything from the 15 gallon to 29 gallon( also got from mom). We got rid of 15 gallon to friend for his son(sons 10 gallon was over crowded). We have since bought 10 gallon tank. Hope to get 55 gallon (or bigger) soon. Love my tanks they are relaxing. Have fallen asleep many times while watching fish after long day.

I bought our first aquarium, a 10 gallon, about 30 years ago. My wife said looking at the fish helped her relax in the evening after all the children were put to bed. We have moved at least 7 times since then and have always had an aquarium in every house. We have had 20 gallon, 55 gallon, and a few unknown size aquariums every now and then. The children have all grown, we are retired, now live on the water, have a pool in the backyard, and are setting up the biggest aquarium we have ever owned. It's a custom made 400 gallon that we wish to go fresh water with. It stands 7 feet tall and makes a great room divider! We are still learning on how to maintain it, and hopefully some advice gleaned from here will help. :D

Hiya MrD and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

A custom 400g?? *drool* I'm SO jealous. What are you looking to put in there? LOL And who is gonna go diving in there to clean it....7 feet tall??

Correction on dimensions.

My 400 gallon aquarium is 7 feet tall and all one piece but the bottom 3 feet is cabinet. It also measures 22 inches wide by 6 1/2 feet long. My main problems were making an undergravel filter as I have 4 outlets thru the bottom of the tank and the plumbing feeds a tower that has the coal and filtering medium in it. I also have some very long utensils for servicing the aquarium.
Some of the problems we face are the number of heaters to bring the tank up to par, adequate lighting for plant growth, and landscaping inside to provide an appealing yet safe haven for our fish.
We also have a small 20 gallon aquarium that we shall use as a quarantine tank.
We plan to put freshwater fish in it as salt water just wouldn't survive with our traveling, etc.. The types of fish will be run of the mill such as Lace Angels, mollies, red swords, and a few adult guppies.
Once I have it totally up and running I shall include a photo.
:lol:

Good lord! I would love to see this. I hope you're photographing the whole process. I know we'd all love to see the various stages prior to completion as well. Good luck! :]

As a kid a family fried gave us a 5 gal tank and equipment and a few guppies and sword tails.

I have always liked aquatic life. And from there it stuck. (I love looking at fish, catching fish and eating fish too) :twisted:

My first serious tank was as a teenager. I set up a 2 ft tank as a community tank. I then decided to bred Dwarf Guramis. I was sucessful but when I went away to University it wasn't maintained as often as it should, so the fry never did very well. After that it went back to a community tank.

I also kept a 3 ft tank with Angels, Corydoras, Golden Barba and Cardinals. We used to go to the local creek and catch all sorts of water insects and mosquito fish to feed the Angels on.

Later on I bought a breeding pair of Angels. Got them to spawn but the babies would bury themselves in the gravel. I had to move intersate and never got the system going properly.

Now I am ready to get back into the hobby I love so much. I want to get serious with a Discus (South American) set up.

When I was younger big brother kept a tank. It was a massive set up with 2 10" Oscars (one red, one tiger), a snakehead which grew to a little over a foot, and a female (purple) Kenyi Chiclid. I would watch these giants for hours. I could even hold a feeder goldfish by the tail above the tank and the Oscars would jump out of the water to grab it from my hand...great fish. Well fast forward 15 yrs and I have decided to give it another shot. No Oscars this time though I just don't have the room for them. :evil:

We have five cats and two dogs, so I spend a lot of time and money in pet stores. Got to watching the fish at one of my favorite LFS, and talking to the owner (he hasn't said so, but I know he's a fish person). He explained about tank set-up and maintenance, and encouraged me to read everything I could get my hands on. I started a freshwater tank, and before long, my DH mentioned that he'd always wanted a marine tank, but when he talked about it, people told him they were WAY too tricky, so he never started one.

That was six months ago. . . we will soon be starting a 75 gallon marine tank (already have a 55 gallon), and in addition to my two 37 gallon fresh (one community and one goldfish), 20 gallon eartheater cichlid, 10 gallon planted small tetra, and the 37 gallon office tank (which belongs to the office, but I maintain), I'm going to give myself a 20 gallon planted tank in my private office at work.

Did someone mention "addiction?" :D

P.S. The 37 gallon show tanks witht he Eclipse 3 hoods are wonderful, but not for goldfish ---- too hard to add filtration with that enclosed hood. :roll: Live and learn. . .

Had variuos smal tanbks as a kid and a 55 later teens,
to much traveling /relocating in my 20's so was absent from the hobby awhile.

Met my wife a couple of years ago and she had a 55 FW community,
and i had a 55 with a cool lil leapord gecko thats been with me going on 8 years.

This past fall got a 150 as a room divider and we both love it.

MrDaytona!
that is awesome, I also would love to see pics of it before and after completion-
in my work i mess with so many materials building variuos things daily that I have thought of building a 200 or 300 in some style.
only thing is I priced the glass needed at a local retail glass supllier and it was more than just buying a pre built tank. *shrugs*

anyway hope to see those pics!

what got this craziness started...

It has been really nice to read everyone's stories about how they got started with their various tanks... I got that ubiquitous 10 gallon as a kid- but had so much trouble keeping it clean ( not realizing that I could have used a much bigger filter!) that I eventually gave up. But growing up landlocked ( in Wyoming) I was captivated by swimming things! I loved the exciting colors of the saltwater fish and the simple beauty of the freshwaters. I adored goldfish and kept several (easy) betas over the years for my kids. I inherited my most current tanks (10 gals) keeping one for myself and giving one to may daughter. We both have been doing some research and both tanks are up, and running and virtually self supportive, the way I always thought it should be! Currently I am wondering if I am starving my singapore shrimp, because they are eating my plants. So I happened upon your site, which I am loving by the way...
Jana

My girlfriend wanted a goldfish. I went with her but had little or no interest in fish but nonetheless came home with a little 10 gal (fresh) cuz i had the $. 6 tanks and thousands of dollars later i think i might have a problem. I later started saltwater which is 100x more addictive. Ive had amazing luck. I am not at all the type of person you would expect to have fish and none of you can understand how much i mean that. I take great care of them and have lost only 2 fish to problems beyond my control (damsel beat to death by clownfish) I've got 3 more tanks thatll be up in the next few weeks.

FYI- my girls goldfish died the very next day.

Hi my names Melissa and im an Aussie. I kept goldfish as a child and now im grown up i kept them for my children (we had a goldfish that lived for 8 years) he died a year ago so i bought 10 baby yabbies which are thriving and growing at quite a fast rate,. Also i still keep some small mollys for food in the yabby tank and they love munching the snails which are breeding like nothing else. After watching Finding Nemo, we toyed with the idea of setting up a marine tank, Now im there and i have two Clarkii clownfish in a FO tank, im sure one day soon i will upgrade and get my first reef tank. I am developing an addiction to fish and all things fishy!!!!

Hello!
I grew up on Long Island (New York) where my stepfather kept many fish tanks (angelfish, fancy goldfish, pacus, tetras...) throughout the house. I met my fiancé while attending the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho. He had a 29G cichlid tank. After listening to many fish stories (cichlids are cruel fish!), I wanted nothing to do with his mean fish. :slurp:
Things changed at a pet store where I found baby assorted cichlids 2 years ago. We bought three--I was so excited! (Unfortunately the last of them died this evening—will be posting about that soon.) Although I was happy to watch the young fish grow, I had no part in caring for them. The following Valentine’s day, I bought a 20G tank for my fiancé, while he was away on a fishing trip. I did all the research on-line and figured out which fish under 2 inches long (my requirement—I like small animals) would get along together. I still have the majority of them with me in Calgary. We are looking forward to starting a brackish tank soon. (y)

When I was 10 years old I had a big decision to make one Christmas!
Well, let me start from the beginning! I had been pestering my parents for years
to be able to start collecting items for a miniature "doll house" .
At the time, 1979, miniature houses were all the rage. You know the kind where you build the replica house and then buy little tiny furniture to go inside? I was sure that was the coolest thing ever! (I would soon find out I WAS WRONG!)

Well, in the summer of that year the family took a great trip to California! Did San Francisco, did the drive on Route 1 down by the ocean, did Alkatraz, balh blah, other cool stuff and ended up in San Diego! My one request for that trip was that we go to "Sea World"! Little did I know it would change my life forever! It was overwhelming all the beautiful facilities and aquaria they had showcased. Growing up near Galveston, Texas I had gone to the then operating "Sea Arama" but it was like a goldfish bowl compared to the splendor of "Sea World - San Diego"! WOW!

I was then a pre-teen possessed! What miniature house??? I begged and pleaded for an aquarium! I did extra chores. I actually cleaned my room (which is still unprecedented to this day!) You name it, I did it to try and convince my parents that I was responsible enough to truly take care of an aquarium. Sure We had the typical "carnival comets" in a bowl but nothing larger than that! My mom was NOT going to do the work on this one! I had to show her that it was for real! Little did she know it would prove to be one of the defining choices in my life.

I proved I was going to be responsible and on Christmas morning I was rewarded the prize of all prizes for 1979! Santa had delivered a 20 gallon high with undergravel filter, heater, and iron stand. Hallelujah! My prayers had been answered!

I still have that tank today, although the under gravel has been replaced by a Emperor 170 and the iron stand has been replaced by an oak cabinet. Since that fateful Christmas I have had that 20 gal running (although not constantly) housed at my sisters while at college - a 10 gallon in the dorm - then added a power head driven 45 gallon during college after moving to an apartment. Loved looking at fish so much that I took Scuba Diving as my PE at Southwest Texas University in San Marcos, TX - (now Texas State University)

Met my hubby in college and we were married in 1993. I know it is a match made in heaven because for my wedding present from him he suprised me by moving my 45 gallon tank to the bedroom from it's place in the living room and replaced it with a 200 gallon tank with wet/dry filter system (running salt at the time). 10 years later after having moved it to the Texas Hill Country and fighting the well water minerals, I now have that tank set up Fresh housing Cichlids (look at my picture in the tank section of the site)

Our oldest son, now only 7, is lucky to have a mom who allowed him to earn a tank for his room, a 29 gallon Eclipse 3. Knowing full-well I would be the one dong the major part of the tank's care, he is very good at feeding the proper amount and checking the temp. everyday. As good reports come from school he earns additional fish, those goofy air-activated bubble ornaments, and cool new rocks, plants, etc. It has been a great incentive and motivation for him at school! It also great at night for the soothing sound of water and watching the fish as he goes off to sleep.

With the addition of my tiny kitchen Eclipse 3 tank with 5 neons in the kitchen, my pond comets wintering in the dorm 10 gallon in the laundry room, and our youngest son's Beta who is also in the kitchen, you could say that we are definitely FISH RICH!!!

Well I started by default this year, but

I have always liked fish. I find them amusing and soothing. My grandfather was a breeder of Siamese fighting fish, some gourami and specilaty goldfish. He showed them. He had some AWESOME marine setups of gallons I cannot guess. He was a machinist, areonautical safety engineer and a master metal worker. All his tanks he designed and made custom. One was taller than me and even had an octopus! I always wanted one since!
As a child helping him take care of all these creatures (he only had me handle the freshwater fish end), I saw them as very needy and delicate in ways. Specially the weird varieties of goldfish. I swore that I'd never get fish until I was settled. Well after moving out of my parents military household, I joined the Army. Then my fiancee did.
15 years later I was only letting myself browse and dream. I got my children a couple ratty Bettas from petsmart to "save them". They returned in spades and decided "mom needs fish, she likes fish!"
Then some fish had babies, and friends are giving me their problem fishies, and..Auuugh! My day room looks like a fish store! :roll:

I guess cos i live a couple hours away from some wicked coral reefs off the coast of malaysia, so i could just visit them instead of cramming some of the natural environment into a tank :p

what made me want em was just being a spoiled lil kid and cry when i dun get sumtin that i wanted and i wanted fish cuz lil kids want everything so i got my 5 gallon fish starter set and sum sharks and a pleco then my fish started 2 die 1 by 1 until i had nun left and like i thought they were like hiding wahhhhhh i miss sharky and finns and tails!!! wahhhhh

At various times growing up my family had aquariums and when my wife wanted to get one I quickly agreed and she purchased our first tank, a 35 gal hex. Later when she was having fun with that one she exspressed a interest in a larger tank, being that I had recently shelled out over $4,000 on new custom skydiving gear I couldn't say no now could I?
MTS had set in!

Edited to add: My wife has set me straight...
First tank she got was 5.5 gal which she overstocked with messy fastgrowing goldfish which led to the 35 gal.
Typical male memory I guess...

Back
Top Bottom