What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lovely daughter wanted an outside pond so I dug a large hole in my lawn and made a great pond with goldfish, she goes out every now and then to look but I do all the upkeep!!
One day she came in and asked if she could have a tropical fish tank, I went out and bought one and now have to look after that aswell !!
Am I a pushover or what??
To be honest I love the pond and tank so I don't complain too much ;-)
Regards

What made you want to keep fish?

I would always love to look at all the different types of fish, And I knew I wanted to keep fish......... so now I have 5 different tanks:):fish1::fish2:

383.jpg
381.jpg

my best friend always had an oscar tank and one day i started to love it and so i started my own & raised this big guy from 1 to 10 inches :D

he's been rehomed to a friend cause i was looking for more of a fun tank instead of a monster tank LOL

nowww i have an african cichlid tank and i'll be strictly stickin w/ these until i try salt in a few years

image.jpg
photo (2).jpg

Fish are awesome! i only have one tank but once i get more room its on!

and i wanted to keep fish because i have always been amazed by aquariums

We bought a home and it came with a 150 gal built-in FW tank. It took me a while to get it cleaned up but am loving it. I figured I'd better get comfortable with FW before trying salt.

The tank that started it all...

Saw the thread and got lost in people's stories so I thought I'd share mine.

When I was about 13 or so my mom agreed to buy me a 10g tank from the local Pet Supermarket. Blue gravel, some plants, Black Skirt Tetra's, Danio's and a Common Pleco. The fish later on of course. Being a 13yr old without my own computer yet and without the resources to go out and buy stuff...let's just say it was tough. The only fish I managed to keep alive was my pleco. It would not die!!! I remember being mad that all my other fish kept dying so I would just not want to feed the pleco. It managed to live for probably 5 years and got to 9 inches in my 10g.

I played soccer my whole life and played college ball for a year (super time consuming). I decided not to play my sophomore year. My current girlfriend, when we started dating loved that I had a fish tank. She wanted me to get more fish but I told her I could never keep anything alive in that tank.
Being in college, with a workstudy job, and now no soccer, I had freedom to start up my fish addiction.

I went to PetSmart one day and bought a 50g tank without telling anyone. Brought it home, set it up, took a picture and sent it to my mom asking if we could go shopping (more because she would pay for some stuff, not because I needed her help). She was very surprised to say the least. My girlfriend also surprised me one day with 4 goldfish to keep in the 10g.

Once I got the 50g running for a few months I wanted another tank. PetSmart had a sale for a 37g tall starter kit. I felt obligated to take advantage of the sale and came home with another tank without telling anyone but my girlfriend.

My mom was even more surprised that I bought another tank. Sadly, it started leaking 2 weeks after I got it going and had to take it down to seal it.

During the process, I got my friend hooked on fish and helped him set up a 20g (after some heavy convincing to his mom to let him). We started talking about how we wanted bigger tanks. One day he mentioned Craigslist. This sparked an intense search for a bigger tank. Months of searching and researching and planning I found a 180g tank. My room is only 10x10 so at this point, 3 tanks is a lot. I fell in love with this 180g tank and was determined to make it fit in my room. I spent hours measuring all my furniture to see where I could move it to to free up the wall where my 50g was sitting on my dresser.

After deciding to give myself the green light to buy the tank, my friend and I took down my 50g and moved the furniture. My mom came in and was wondering what was going on. I mumbled..."I'm getting another tank." She flipped out and was like ARE YOU SERIOUS!? I chuckled and said yes...she then asked how big. I mumbled 180g and she almost passed out.

So we get the tank home in my friends truck and put it on saw horses to clean it good. Night comes and my parents want me to move the tank inside so nothing happens to it. They insisted, even though I knew nothing would happen...nobody would be able to steal it. So as we are going to move it one of the sawhorses gives out and it falls and shatters. At this point, my hands are stuck under the end of the tank scrapped up and bleeding. My mom cut her finger and part of the tank landed on my dads toe. I wanted to die. :hide:
We cleaned it up and they said they'd pay me back for the tank since they wanted to move it.

So now sitting on another $300 and a stand, it was back to Craigslist to find a replacement. Another long, miserable month of nothing or tanks that I couldn't afford.

I decided to settle for a 150g drilled after numerous failed attempts to get a 180g. This time I was determined to get it in my room in one piece!!

And now it's being constructed.
My mom has complained about me getting more tanks and the other day she suggested that I get another tank bigger than 10g for the goldfish since they are outgrowing the tank. Obviously I can't turn down my mom telling me to get another tank. As I'm helping my dad replace boards in the attic, my mom tells me that there is an old tank in the attic that someone gave us. I go find it and sure enough it's a 15g (just needed a hood). I got it out, washed it out and set it up in my sisters room. Went to PetSmart at 8:00 and bought a filter. She thinks it's great.

That is my story....19 with 5 tanks...the future only holds more tanks...

10g - going to be shrimp
15g - 4 goldfish and 2 albino corries
37g - 5 tiger barbs, 1 opaline gourami, 1 senegal bichir, 1 pleco
50g - 8 phantom tetras, 3 gold mystery snails, (yellow labs and melanochromis maingano coming soon!)
150g - going to be planted with driftwood - transfer SA 37g fish

I used to play fishville for about an hour a day. For my birthday this past April my husband bought me a REAL tank with REAL fish!!!! I kicked the fishville habit, and have my beautiful little fishies to take care of now :)

The kids got free goldfish. When the fish outgrew the tank, we found new homes for them (the goldfish, that is) , but then we had this cycled tank just sitting there, and the rest is history!

I was reading on the Internet when I was 13 that if you have a bowl tank with a gold that you could look at it in some angle and see 1milli second into the future like what the fish is going to do so I begged my mom and ended up getting a 3G and a betta fish an now I'm sitting with a betta in my 3G and another in my 8 g community tank :D

Excellent question. For me it's about the freedom to create a world where I can express myself and not ask permission to do so. Keeping a planted aquarium allows me to pour my energy into something that isn't part of society, work, kids, marriage, and everything else that we must navigate through. My aquarium operates under its own rules and does not care about what is going on outside; it reminds me that in life there are still choices and I have the freedom to imagine and create in a way that allows me to be exactly who I want to be.

My son used to go crazy when we got near the fish tanks in walmart for the longest time and begged to see the fish. I told my mother and she suggested getting him a small tank for the play room. I took care of a tank at my old job and enjoyed the hobby. I love our tank now and he really loves that he has mickey mouse fish! I want to get a 55 gallon for our bedroom but we are waiting a few years for that.

My whole setup was given to me. It has been the best "hand me down" I have ever recieved! Since then it has become an obsession. I want to learn everything i can. I look forward to what this new hobby brings

well my story starts with my brother. he works at a apt building as a janitor/maintenance well anyways one of the tenants pulled the old midnight move and left behind a overstocked 29g.Well i heard that the landlord was just gonna kill all the fish and take the tank and all its accesories to the dump. so i stepped in now im able to sit and watch beautifull fish for hours on end from my bed

I've been with fish my entire life (just over 14 years now). Each fish came and went, and about 4-5 years ago, my mom's oldest goldfish, Pig passed away. He had been the last fish I had for a few years. Then about 2 years ago, I decided to take my turn in raising fish. Starting the adventure with a puny 1 gallon and 4 fish, my Opa Kelly bought it for me. 2, sadly died, and I quickly bought a 29 gallon tank. Keeping 2, I let them swim for about a week. Then I decided to take it to the next step. I bought some more platies, which my previous 2 had died, bought another swordtail, and a few tetras. I didn't research well enough, and the tetras died. My stepdad got me a wonderful gift; 2 gorgeous plecostomuses. They were tiny, but they grew quickly. Earlier this year, I bought 4 beautiful guppies. The male ones died, but they bred before so. After giving birth, the darker one passed away, and the next. Today, my guppies are still breeding like mad, the mollies squabbling like brothers and sisters (they are brothers and sisters, and am not concerned, since it's real playful-like), the plecos squabbling over who sucks where, and the swordtail finding some fish to dote over. I also got a 55 gallon, in which these dozens are going to move into. I'm going to sell the 29 gallon, the Colosseum decor, and several male guppies, as well as some females.

I didn't want fish!

My memmories of fish from childhood are only this: Having fish = tasting gross fish water. :nono: I remember my mom cleaning the tank. Must have been 1985 or so because I was rather small. I just recall her sucking on the end of a tube and spitting fish water out of her mouth. Why would I ever want fish after that? :confused:I've always admired fish tanks, but never wanted to clean them.
Our son wanted fish for his 10th birthday. I said no way, but dad promised he'd take care of the cleaning. So, we got him a 30 gallon with 3 fish off Craigslist. I was hiding...what fish? :hide:
Soon he wanted goldfish and angelfish. I remembered that angels needed hight temps and golds needed cold temps and were very dirty. How I don't know.
I started researching compatible fish for goldfish, and then I discovered so many amazing fish! :huh: THEN I noticed our fish were acting weird.:ermm: I took some water in to be tested at the LFS. Nitrites ? Nitrates 7.6 and PH ? I just recall the guy saying "you still have live fish? They should be dead!" He directed me to do a 50% water change. It was then I realized I didn't need to put my mouth anywhere close to the tube.:lol:
Did tons of research, got another tank. Then added 3 others (not set up yet) I'm so addicted to fish!

Now I'm in-love with the fish keeping hobby!(y)

My aunt got a new tank and I found it really beautiful so I decide I would get a little bowl with a goldfish. The I did research and realize it was a terrible idea, so I decide to put other fish in a real tank but still a little one. I ended up with a 29 gallons tank and I love it. When I will have the room I will of course buy an other one!

Back
Top Bottom