What plants are good to start a cold water planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to have a cold water planted Tank so what plants do you recommend? I'm only keeping a small amount of rosy red minnows.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whats your lighting situation and what would be the water temp? Some plants like anubias and java fern are hardy and do fine in low light

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very low light. Most of the time it might even be dark. However there will be some light coming through the shades. Temp ranges between 72 and 78 F

NatureFish
????

Do you have any type of lighting fixture? Natural sunlight is unreliable and can cause huge algae blooms

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cold Water Plants

I want to have a cold water planted Tank so what plants do you recommend? I'm only keeping a small amount of rosy red minnows.

Hello Nat...

The only plant I keep in cooler water is Hornwort. It doesn't require planting, just drop individual stems into the tank water. I have it growing in an old 55 G tank with nothing but a shop light and a couple of T8 bulbs from the hardware store.

B

Is duck weed a good option? and how about plants that come up out of the water?

NatureFish
????

Duckweed should work.
I planted some dwarf sag in a pot with dirt and gravel last fall and it sat in a small pond. The winter saw several freeze overs and it stayed green. This spring/summer it produced a thick mat with arial leaves and numerous flowers. So yes, dwarf sag does well in cooler temps.

Most plants will be fine in that temperature range.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Yep I agree. 72-78 is not that cold. I keep all my planted tanks at 76-ish. Got all sorts of plants in those tanks.
Duck weed is good and spreads like no tomorrow. If you want the entire surface of the water to be green with duck weed, that's the plant your looking for. Hornwort and anacharis are very similar and are almost unkillable. Just make sure those 2 plants are legal in your state.

I've never heard of anyone with one plants here so I don't think they are legal...

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom