what salt do you guys perfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slush

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have been using reef Crystals but do you guys prefer something else?

I've tried others and I believe there has been another thread along these lines where you could read the preferences of others. You will find everyone has a definite opinion about the brand they use. I only use Oceanic. It always mixes up the same when I follow directions and it mixes instantly. In the previous post I stated this same thing and was told that a lot of the "professionals" use Instant Ocean and it is superior. Maybe. I used it, could not wait to use it all up. It was never consistent. Following directions I got a sg of anywhere from 1.024 to 1.028! It also took forever to mix up and seemed to always have some sediment in the bottom. So, I am happy for those who have had no problems with it but I will continue to ship in Oceanic from the moon if necessary in order to continue using Oceanic. Just my opinion and what has never failed to work exactly as advertised.

ps: sorry, I forgot. Yes it is more expensive, and worth every penny.

na..oceanic is superior to RC. it costs the same here. more calcium, cleaner product( i used to get a nasty brown residue floating on top, and if you opened a can of each and sat them next to each other, you can see a visible difference in the color, and RC seems to have some strange particles here and there as well. you also get more in the can for the same money(here at least)

i switched from rc to oceanic, and have noticed a difference in the mixing barrel, and the display.

I am new to the marine side as well, but Ive been using Reef Crystals and so far have been having pretty good luck with it. Very easy to disolve. Just have a FOWLR now, so havent watched calcium etc, but so far so good ;)

I use Red Sea Coral Pro and I find it consistent. Kent was the worst and they sent me a new bucket after checking a sample. That bucket had the same problem.

Pick a brand and if you get conistent results you can adjust it for your liking (Ca, Mg, Alk, etc.)

I use Oceanic. I have been pretty happy with the results and use it for the Ca/Alk numbers. RS Coral pro was good too.

I started with Instant Ocean, then transitioned to Reef Crystals, but finally settled with Oceanic.

I use oceanic. BTW this is one of those questions that if you asked ten people you will get 10 different answers. You`ll basically have to try them and see which works well for you. Good luck

Which salt you use questions can resemble religious debates at times. The main goal is consistency. IO is probably the most used salt even though reefers don't usually like it. Its deficiencies can be made up with supplements.

I didnt realize salt was that different from eachother... Infact I just bought new sand w/o live..and I read the package and it said all the things that the sand is made up of, I thought it was just sand! I new it didnt have anything bad in it that I didnt want anyway!

wow if i found your thread earlier i would have never started this one lol

Back
Top Bottom