what sea salt is the best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am using the new Seachem salt, which buffers quite high in Ca and Alk with my tap water. I'm measuring a little under 500 ppm Ca and 14 dKh right out of the bucket. With IO I barely got over 410 ppm with tap water. So, there is definitley something different with the Seachem, but like everyone else said, if it's making everything in your tank happy and healthy, no need to upset that balance. I desired a higher Ca for stony corals and was having issues with IO salt (which has been known to produce cyano issues) with keeping a higher Ca.

:)

The question that I pose is that if you are having cyno issues , cyno is a bacterial algea in nature,produced by over feeding , low flow and possible light spectrum shifts .... How is it that the salt is at falt ...I am just curious as to how the salt is the "cause" of the cyno..

Well, I think it mainly stems from the Borneman salt study, where he had constant cyano growth over a period of 6 months or so with IO salt and no other salts, even in controlled environments. IO seems to just produce it. People on this board have tried the switch and said their cyano issues went away after they stopped using IO. Borneman is supposed to release more of their study as it goes on, but due to family issues I think it's been put on hold. But I believe he mentioned at MACNA how he was going to look more molecularly at the salts and do more comprehensive tests with it. So hopefully, we'll know more soon. :)

I had IO in my 125 tank, with sand and some rock, no fish and cyano took over! I did a few PWCs with reef crystals and it cleared it up, in no time. I think some of it depends on you water source.

I haven't had cyano in awhile. For a little bit, I was having to syphon daily to keep it under control. I was in the process of switching from IO to reef crystals. My cyano has vanished. The dissappearing act happened in the time period when my skimmer broke down. To get rid of cyano while your skimmer isn't working is saying something. I def believe that it has something to do with the salt.

I use Coralife salt, gives me Ca readings that are at 420 and alk readings that are kinda on the low end but still tolerable 8 dKh.

Back
Top Bottom