What should I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REDCHEVYBLAZER

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I'm new here. I got into fish when me and my girlfriends relationship went stale. Upon breaking up, I got even more into it, but my fish tank is starting to get boring. I only have a 10 gallon tank, but I want to add more to it.

I have 6 fish total in it.

I set up the fish tank October 11, 2012 when I got it for my birthday. I only have 2 of the original fish. All others died when I moved the tank.

One of the remaining fish is a Yellow Platy. He has survived pure cold tap water. His friend which was a red platy (they swam together so I got the 2 because my gf said to because they were cute because they were always together like us. Turns out her favorite died. lol.

I have 2 Guppys. One is a male with the orange tail. I also have a much younger Guppy. It was a baby when I got it because the store accidentally put it in with my Platy. They asked if I wanted to keep it in the bag, and I was like "it make end up as a nice snack for him). Anyways, it survived, and it's grown fast in the past 2 and a half months. It's the size of the male guppy, so I'm thinking it may be a female. It is has an orange shading, but isn't anything like the male. But it's also possible it's a male who isn't fully grown/developed.

A week after getting the original fish and most died, I bought 4 Zebra Danio's (3 in the form of Glowfish). All died in the move. A few weeks ago (Nov 18, 2012) I got another Zebra Danio cause I like the fish. Ever since buying it, the tummy area has gotten bigger. Could be pregnant, could be fat. I don't really know. lol.

I acquired a Blue Platy from a friend. It has the micky mouse tail. :)

There are others I've had but left out since they're not a big deal.

My most recent addition was a Plecostomus because of algae. I know these fish should be in tanks of greater size, but if it starts to get too big, I have a friend who can take it for me. It's currently about 1.5" to 2" long.

My question is, what other kind of fish and how many can I put in with these? Would a Betta be an okay choice?

Cory cats make nice additions, also most tetras are pretty cool. Tiger barbs are my favorite but have a history of nipping longer tails (not all of the time). Also, you can try a betta but just keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure all is well.

So you have 2 platy, 2 guppies, 1 zebra danio, and a pleco in your ten gallon now...
I would remove the pleco very soon because they are poop machines and will really pollute ten gallons. In the meantime, please keep a close eye on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Shrimp are very clean, and will fill in as a "clean up crew" & come in different colors. You could add several.
I would then add two more zebra danios. Males, if possible, because yours sounds female.
You might have live babies soon with that new platy. Do you know what genders you have?

Well if I is a female guppy or even if the Platy is a girl u will have a kazillion babies. That would brighten things up for you. A pleco is too big, try otocinclus.

@Ktw020: Do you think the Betta will be fine in my tank? Or is there too many fish for a Betta to be okay? I know they can be aggressive towards other male Betta, but I thought they were okay with others. I could be wrong here.

@CoryFan: Is there a way to tell the gender between Zebra Danio's? Will Zebra Danio's mate with GlowFish? Cause I don't know if I want mating going on. I know it can always happen, but if at all, I'd like to keep it from happening. What kinds of shimp are available for a fresh water tank? I did have a couple ghost shrimp, but they all got eaten and one died.

@NinjaTetra: With any luck the fish won't have babies, but if they do, I will have to deal with it. lol. What is an Otocinclus? I've never heard this name before. I've always been told a Pleco will not get too big in a 10 gallon tank. I've heard it may lose a few years off its life, but it wouldn't make enough of an impact on lifespan to worry about that kind of thing.

It really depends on if you get a nice betta or one that is aggressive. You can try and if it doesnt work you can find him a smaller tank to himself.

It really depends on if you get a nice betta or one that is aggressive. You can try and if it doesnt work you can find him a smaller tank to himself.

How long would it be recommended to keep the Betta in there before determining if its a good fit for my tank?

Just keep an eye on it for a few days and if he is acting normal and not bother any other fish keep him, but if he is attacking others then take him out as you can.

You probably won't get baby danios, I just read that they get along best in ratios of 2m:1f. So I have always kept them that way. The females have plumper bellies. The males are more streamlined. I do not know if they can interbreed.

Just keep an eye on it for a few days and if he is acting normal and not bother any other fish keep him, but if he is attacking others then take him out as you can.

Is there a recommended amount of stuff to have in this fish tank? All I have is a rock, a Squidward House (from Spongebob lol), and a decent sized plant.

You probably won't get baby danios, I just read that they get along best in ratios of 2m:1f. So I have always kept them that way. The females have plumper bellies. The males are more streamlined. I do not know if they can interbreed.

That's a good thing to hear. I may look into a few more because of that. The Glowfish are actually just Zerba Danio fish, but they have been injected with the color.

The decor you have is fine, if you were to get anything such as neon tetras you'll need more plants for them to hide in.

As soon as I find a Betta I like again, I'll look into getting it. I found a solid white one with blue dots that I loved, but came back for it the next day and it was gone. :(

I believe I figured out how to upload a picture, and the green tint of my tank is because my walls in my room are dark green.

Attachments

• 2012-12-30_21.14.05.jpg
    2012-12-30_21.14.05.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 77
I've found actinic lights make the glofish colors pop better than straight black lights, especially during daylight hours. At night, the black lights were about as good as the actinic.

Last edited:
I've found actinic lights make the glofish colors pop better than straight black lights, especially during daylight hours. At night, the black lights were about as good as the actinic.

Lol, they are talking platys and betas Sambo :D I don't think that an actinic would be in their future if a blacklight is a problem.....

Oh, Actinic- better with LED or how high for T would I need for supplementing my marineland reef ready LED?

I got a couple tad poles today. They were free at the store I worked at because we don't carry them. I got them, but not sure what kind of frog they will be? Can anyone tell me? They're 2-3 inchs each. And should they eat fish food, or should I feed them the aquatic Frog & Tadpole food I have from when I had a few African Dwarf Frogs?

Lol, they are talking platys and betas Sambo :D I don't think that an actinic would be in their future if a blacklight is a problem.....

I had mentioned the glofish.

Attachments

• 2012-12-31_14.19.23.jpg
    2012-12-31_14.19.23.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom