What should I do with my 10 gallon tank with one cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherback1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so a while ago I bought a 10 gallon tank and added my betta.Then a bit later I bought 3 platties which was a big mistake because they ripped up my betta so then I go and buy a block and after a while my platties die. Then I buy 3 Cory cats which did pretty good but 2 died because of algae so then I buy a Pleco which was fine until a nickel fell into my tank and killed him.right now in my tank i have 1 emerald Cory cat (I put the betta in a different tank).What do you think I should stock my tank with? I'm think 3 more Cory cats and 5 neon tetras?

Guppies are relatively good and easy to keep, but their bioload is a bit high for their size, but you could put in this, if, you do 50% water changes weekly,
3 emerald Cory's
5 ghost shrimp
5 female guppies
Guppies mate like crazy, so I would only keep females, or one male and four females, but you would have to get rid of the babies

I'm not sure i don't know anything about guppies
First of all, hi and welcome to AA!!!.
What about a Red Cherry Shrimp tank, with some nice real plants. I love these little guys and plan on turning my 15g into a shrimp set-up very soon. You could also add guppies/endlers, neons and a few corys. Have a look at some of the shrimp tanks on here or google them. They really are so cool. You can let your imagination run wild....

Sorry, welcome to AA! Forgot your new:/
Neons can be in a 10 gallon, but they are very active, and I really don't think they will be happy

First of all, hi and welcome to AA!!!.
What about a Red Cherry Shrimp tank, with some nice real plants. I love these little guys and plan on turning my 15g into a shrimp set-up very soon. You could also add guppies/endlers, neons and a few corys. Have a look at some of the shrimp tanks on here or google them. They really are so cool. You can let your imagination run wild....

Thanks for the suggestions but shrimp hate me i once got a few and they died quickly any other suggestions also how do you do live plants?

Sorry, welcome to AA! Forgot your new:/
Neons can be in a 10 gallon, but they are very active, and I really don't think they will be happy
This is my tank if you want to see it bigger

Attachments

• image-3983201615.jpg
    image-3983201615.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-244334826.jpg
    image-244334826.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 71
Sounds like your tank is a death trap. Maybe planted is in your future.

It's looking a lot cleaner actually since I got a gravel cleaner there was a lot of bad stuff in the gravel causing bad water quality and now it's a lot cleaner

Was your tank cycled? Cories don't die "because of algae"

What are your current parameters? Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. What temperature is your water? What kind of filter do you have?

Cories are schooling fish and would be happiest if you could get at least 3 but some breeds get a little big for a 10 gallon. Oto's are very active and also prefer schools. They need to be fed as well and mine love cucumber and zucchini.

Was your tank cycled? Cories don't die "because of algae"

What are your current parameters? Ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. What temperature is your water? What kind of filter do you have?

Cories are schooling fish and would be happiest if you could get at least 3 but some breeds get a little big for a 10 gallon. Oto's are very active and also prefer schools. They need to be fed as well and mine love cucumber and zucchini.

Ok then if it wasn't algae it was probably bad water quality i wasn't sure how to do a water change properly at the time

My tank was filtered and I have a Quietflow 10

Ph:7
Ammonia:?
Nitrite:0.5
Tempature:78F

Nitrate:20

I would let the tank settle before stocking anymore fish, in my opinion. A nitrite reading indicates you are not cycled yet. What is your ammonia reading?

At this point I'd do a 50% water change and retest your nitrites.

Last edited:
They are easy to keep. I would keep only males. Unless you want to watch them reproduce. The males are prettier, and the females are almost always pregnant when bought from a pet store.

Yep I think I'm going to get guppies if they have fry I know a guy who can take the fry

I would let the tank settle before stocking anymore fish, in my opinion. A nitrite reading indicates you are not cycled yet. What is your ammonia raging?

At this point I'd do a 50% water change and retest your nitrites.

And after I do that if my nitrites are ok my tank is fine?also how do I test ammonia??:(

Back
Top Bottom