What should I use to clean/change my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 55g tank with livebearers and cory catfish. The substrate will be sand.

What is the best way to do water changes and clean my tank? I've read a lot about the python water changer and cleaner, is this a good option? Or do I need a separate vacuum and siphon? Basically, does this both clean and change water?

Lastly, I know things like the python connect directly to the faucet, but I'll still have to put the new water into a bucket and dechlorinate it first before putting it in the tank, right? Thanks!

Well the Python does "clean" and fill but some people still use a bucket and hose to vacuum. With sand the best way to do it is hover right over it to loosen up the debris so it will get sucked out. With the Python you can and I do, add prime(dechlorinator) to the tank measuring for entire tank volume and then fill. If you treat in buckets you just need to use the amount for what's in the buckets.

If you do use buckets, just dose for the whole tank. Doesn't matter if you overdose it, it can't hurt your tank unless it is like 4 overdosed

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With a 55g tank, the Python will be best thing you've ever bought lol. After carrying buckets for a few years, I can't believe I waited so long to get one. They are worth every penny!
And as mentioned, just hover above the sand. You shouldn't need another syphon or buckets if you have decent water pressure, the Python sucks up all the junk.

Thanks guys!

So I'm a little confused...when I'm putting the water back into the tank with the python, do I have to put it in a bucket first and dechlorinate it? Or just put dechlorinator in the tank and then put the tap water in?

Add the dose to treat 55 gallons just before you fill up. No need to dechlorinate in advance in buckets.

Back
Top Bottom