What size heater will get it done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im looking into a Stainless steel heater for a tank that will have ~115gallons of water volume. What wattage will best handle this task? Im thinking the 300w one will work (largest they have) but do you think I need more than one?

i have just a regular 200w heater on my 55 gallon, so i think you might need a bigger one. im not familiar with steel heaters if they work better than normal.

just like how a 15 watt incondescent is weaker than a 15 watt flourescent, may be the same for heaters. that or i just threw everyone off

Generally, 3-5 watts per gallon should suffice. Aim for the higher portion of that range if you have the aquarium somewhere cool such a a basement. Or, you could do the lower end if the general area always runs warm or if you are going to light the aquarium with lamps that throw a good deal of heat.

My aquarists recommend 2 smaller heaters rather than 1 large heater. This way if one heater goes belly up the other one can provide most of the heat needed. How about 2-200watt SS heaters for your tank?

thast what i would reccomend. 2 200 watts will keep a very stable ttemperature aswell as keep the heat spread over the whole aquarium evenly. if placed at opposite ends.

115 x 5 is 575. The general rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon, but that will vary depending on your average room temperature.

I would go for 2 250W heaters. Place them on either side of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom