What Size Powerhead(s) for 123g Planted Community ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just filled my 125g tank and have the substrate in. Waiting for Filter(s) to arrive.

What size powerhead (s) is recommended to keep good flow ?

Multiple small gph I assume?

Any help here would be great.

I put in 1 2gph for my light flow tank. Some planted like the light current in the tank and fish. If you going to keep plants or fish the like med. Current get 2 2gph power heads and place them on opposite sides of the tank and high flow for the 125 gal I was using koralia smartwave I know they are for saltwater but works great in freshwater tanks as well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What filter are you getting? If the filter is good, it will provide enough flow for the tank.
I also recommend the koralia powerheads. They work very well.

Fishcra8zy,

I got a Eheim Pro 3 2080. Hooked it up last night ( It is a beast ). Nice to be rolling on this project. Water is clearer already. ( I had a Fluval 406 ( way undersized filter, but wanted to try one out from Petchain store)

I did get a Koralia 1150 gph. With the right placement and direction, it is great.

I brought 2 eheim classic 600 filters one on each side of the tank so i dont have to clean my filters at least once every three months.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I brought 2 eheim classic 600 filters one on each side of the tank so i dont have to clean my filters at least once every three months.

Nice filters. I like Eheim's.

Did it take longer to cycle 2 filters than with one? Or did you add the 2nd after the first filter was cycled?

Just curious, because I am vacillating on whether to cycle both filter simultaneously or individually.

On a side note. I ended up getting an Eheim Pro3 1200XL. I have been looking at a SunSun HW-304B as a second filter. I figure 975 gph will keep things tidy. I've heard great things about the Sunsun, so its cheap enough to try.

I am running a Eheim 2215 on my 29g tall and love it.

It was faster and i used special blend In my tank. I triple the dose and i was using the live sand also in the tank so it was basically instant cycle when i added everything. Also my question to you is what you trying to add in your tank fish and plant wise? Cause i can tell you what you can stock with right away. Just to get the water just right. I done this method quite a while and never lost any fish.

Also when it comes to cleaning the filter i do one , one month and the next month clean the 2nd filter. For the water change i do it every 3 months or so but more water top offs. How i see it fit get animals that will work for you not against you. From snails to mid feeders to bottom feeders and alage eaters and look for my fav. Malaysian trumpet snails they do no harm to your substrate but clean the anaerobic bacteria

It was faster and i used special blend In my tank. I triple the dose and i was using the live sand also in the tank so it was basically instant cycle when i added everything. Also my question to you is what you trying to add in your tank fish and plant wise? Cause i can tell you what you can stock with right away. Just to get the water just right. I done this method quite a while and never lost any fish.

I am putting together a planted community tank with lots of smaller fish and some interesting vertical rock features. Plant wise is am leaning toward a low tech tank. I have some finnex planted + lights and will be putting in eco-complete when it arrives next week.

What special blend do you use?

Any help here would be great. I cycled my smaller tank in a month or so, with eco-complete substrate, lots of plants, lots of live store bought live bacteria and a some tetras and mollies.

Awesome.

How does the Microbe-Lift differ from other Live bacteria. Isn't all bacteria the same?

Just curious. I am game to try anything.

Let me know

Thanks

just saw the videos on their site. Looks great. I will give it a roll.

Thanks again.

To me i see it clean the tank better and everything is all natural. It is also great for the fish it is a all in one to treat the fish from getting sick. It stinks but it also helps getting rid of that new tank smell. As for the filter it boost the process almost instantly. So it is like having your first 30 mins after you add it. So it is not a water down version you get like other brands. Also use nite out II same company but reduce your nirates pretty quick. Use them both trust me u be glad that you did. Then add your hardy fish n plants right away

Hey Xavier,

Added it at noon. Holy cow does it stink. Gotta love sulpher.... My kids accused each other of pooping!

I called Ecological Labs Inc., and inquired about overdosing. No problem there. They said that it could not be overdosed. So I tripled the dosing on the Special Blend and the Nite Out II.

I am hoping to see a drop in Nitrites on the sickly tank and start growing a good colony in the filter on the big tank.

Fingers crossed and nose plugged.........

How long does the stink last? Not too long I hope.......

No amount of additives can replace regular water changes on a tank. There are way more chemicals at work in the water than just nitrate and many bad things can happen including but not limited to a ph crash. You need a regular supply if fresh water to keep the tank healthy for fish.

The smell dont last to long maybe a hour. After you finish the bottle no worries about buying more. As for ph with the special blend you wont have any. Thats a promise. The only thing that should affect the ph is your water quality that comes from your tap. For me my water from tap is a 6.6 so it works for me and no worries about any other chemicals they add to my water cause there is none as i tested it. May be different in Your area. But for a tank your size it will be easier to take care of. Just dont over feed you can feed 3 times a day depending on your fish or twice a week. For what i did i over fed my fish and grew my snail pop. Asap got the right fish that do what they need to do and the tank cleans it self. For my tank with my two filters plus all my snails and fish everything in the tank is mating and growing just fine never worried about any water changes so i do it once a month but top it off every week. But this stage your in test your water every week until you see everything stable for 2 to 3 weeks. And you good to go. Also if you do a water change. For your 125 change 10% every month depending on your water and tap. And always try to go as natural as you can to change anything in the tank as water wise.

What filters are you using?
Just curious.

I have a Pro 3 1200XL and am not impressed. It appears that there is a lot of bypass. My tank is far from crystal clear with just black gravel and 12 fish ( neon tetras, white clouds, and 2 molies) I have now read several posts that say the filter is not so great.

I ordered a sunsun 404 as a secondary and will populate that.

I am leaning toward a 2062 canister ( old classic design ). I don't like the price but do like the quality and simplicity., not to mention the capacity.

I know it's a lot for a 125g tank but I want clear low maintenance.

Do both at the same time. It won't make a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom