What submersible pump to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im looking into building a DIY 29g sump for my 75g turtle tank. Im going to make a DIY aqaurium overflow that goes over the back of the tank. Its going to be made of 1in thick pvc pipe and that translates to about 375gph flowing into the sump. The pump would have to be able to pump that about 4 feet and 1inch high

What submersible pump would you guys recommend for that? I prefer it to be not very expensive, but im willing to pay more for what I need.

I use Jeboa DC pumps.
They are digitally controlled so you can adjust flow and reduce electricity use.
They make several sizes but this would be more then enough and possibly smallest DC ?
https://www.chewy.com/jebao-marine-submersible-tank-pump/dp/158716
If you are using 1"PVC to drain I believe they can flow about 650-700GPH if pushed.
Remember when figuring flow to take off for head pressure and see if pump actually list out flow pipe size for flow.. Mag drives need certain size pipes to reach flow claimed rate. Mags also raise tank temp about 4 degrees on average for most.
Each 90 degree elbow in return line counts as 1-2 foot of head pressure .

I might of done my math wrong, the overflow that im making isnt going to be drilled through the tank, its going to be simular to a hob overflow. In all there is about 5 elbows in all for that. Thanks for the recommendation on the pump.

Actually on a different video of his he revisited this and did upgrades and that one looks closer to mine. He said it can handle a larger amount of water than this design, so the gph is closer to what you said.

That is a good build...
I think you are better with a pump that is rated higher then you need.
If it is not digital you can install a ball valve on the return line to adjust the flow.
It is always easier [and possible ] to turn pumps down then up !
Worst thing after all hard work is to have an under powered piece of equipment..

Back
Top Bottom