What the heck are these? Eggs, larvae or other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm tossing in another vote for the OMG HATCH THEM party. I've had some fun hatching mystery eggs on two different occaisions (ended up being triops and a tadpole, respectively), and come on, randomly appearing eggs are just begging to be hatched. I mean, what's the worst that could come out? Mutant water cockroach people?

On second thought, that could be unpleasant.

Dude, My Tiger Barbs eat anything but I wouldn't be feeding them that!! When you don't know what that is.

Ok - just to check. Have you recently

(A) Genetically increased the size of you fishs brains to develop a .......
(B) Genetically altered a fish to combat a disease that .........
(C) Recently used a dead fish as a cyborg to combat.........

Because this could well be a side effect. I watch a lot of movies and if any of the above are true then I can gaurantee it will not turn out well.

But don't worry, I reckon your new evil superfish will have at least on major weakness.(You have probably already mentioned it in passing but won't realise it for a few hours) which you will be able to exploit.

So yeah, hatch em. But if you have any loved ones that can be ransomed or threatened to arrange a show-down with you - get them to safety first.

They definitely look like larva of some kind. I'd set them up in a tank of there own that was half filled and covered securely. If these are some kind of demon bugs you don't want them flying free in your house.

Like I said, mutant water cockroach people. They love nothing more than the succulent flesh of internet forum members. Better watch out, they'll be moving to the saltwater forum next!

haha well, nothing exciting happened with them at all. I left them in the tank and a few days later they turned brown and decayed away. Or the fish ate them, but either way, they arent there anymore.

I still would love to know what the hell it was.. anyone know what ant larvae looks like? That could have been it..

Ah, what a let down. They do look a little like ant larvae as I remember them from my youthful days of knocking over ant-piles, but I can't really judge the size of them. Also, how would ant larvae get in your tank, and in such neat piles?

I wish I had seen this sooner. Exodus, what you have there are in fact Damselfly eggs. Damselflies lay their eggs in the water and are born with gills much like a fish which allows them to breath in their larval form. When they grow to their adult forum, they resemble the dragonfly, although closely related they are smaller and have seperated eyes. They prefer warmer water such as lakes and warm and calm rivers. You don't typically see their eggs unless the water is clear. The Comel river in New Braunfels Texas is a good spot to see them, the water is crystal clear and slightly warmer then the neigboring San Marcos river.

Alshain - quite interesting - thank you for that.

Exodus - its too bad they didn't hatch - I LOVE damselflies. I used to sit at the stream and these blue and black damselflies would surround me - I used to call them "my tinkerbells"

Back
Top Bottom