what to do about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
This stuff is growing on my overflows, power heads, and glass! I think its Dinoflagellates. Not sure where it is coming from. RO/DI is at 0TDS, Silicates in tank are at 0! Nitrates and Phosphates are at 0. I guess it could be eating them up before I can test them. Any suggestions on if its Dino's or not? I spent a long time getting rid of hair algae, green turf algae and nitrates at 160ppm and now I get this :facepalm:

algae-M.jpg

algae2-M.jpg

Definite would say cyano. I hate that stuff. Took me 6 months to rid. I did a lot in that time to try to rid it and I can't say exactly what did it but here is the list.

Weekly water changes instead of bi-weekly.
Used chemi-pure
Switched from phosban to phos extract
Lessened light cycle and changed bulbs
Dosed magnesium
I siphoned out as much cyano as I could each water change.
Changed flow to increase in cyano areas

I also never showed any reading of phosphates. Had only 5 ppm nitrates. So I think it consumes faster than test reads like you said.

Do you have refugium? Direct sunlight? Old bulbs? Low magnesium? Phos reactor? Some questions to ask yourself. I hope this helps. Also nothing in my tank was effected by cyano. Was just matter of looking bad.

Definite would say cyano. I hate that stuff. Took me 6 months to rid. I did a lot in that time to try to rid it and I can't say exactly what did it but here is the list.

Weekly water changes instead of bi-weekly.
Used chemi-pure
Switched from phosban to phos extract
Lessened light cycle and changed bulbs
Dosed magnesium
I siphoned out as much cyano as I could each water change.
Changed flow to increase in cyano areas

I also never showed any reading of phosphates. Had only 5 ppm nitrates. So I think it consumes faster than test reads like you said.

Do you have refugium? Direct sunlight? Old bulbs? Low magnesium? Phos reactor? Some questions to ask yourself. I hope this helps. Also nothing in my tank was effected by cyano. Was just matter of looking bad.

I do not have a refugium I have mangroves growing along the back of the tank, no direct sunlight, T5HO's are 10 months old, Magnesium is at 1350. I have two phosban reactors. one is running ROX 0.8 and the other is running BioPellets. Havent had an issue with Phospahtes so stopped running GFO a year ago maybe. Its only at the top of my tank on my overflow, mangroves, and powerheads

Mangroves aren't doing much to export nutrients. They are more of a conversation piece than filtration.
Water changes? Are you vacuuming that stuff out with each change?

Mangroves aren't doing much to export nutrients. They are more of a conversation piece than filtration.
Water changes? Are you vacuuming that stuff out with each change?

yes i am taking it out with each water change, I also take a toothbrush and srcub the powerheads with the vaccum by to suck as much out as possible. I have been doing 15g water changes once a week on a 55g. thinking about going to twice a week

Last edited:
You can also use Boyd Chemi-Clean.
It will remove the cyanobacteria, but it will resurface if the source of the cyanobacteria isn't removed.
I've used it on various systems and it's safe if used as directed.

That stuff does work great I used it years ago to kick start getting rid of an algae problem that was a result of very high nitrates

Doug, I just read an article tonight that said the exact same thing about mangroves being more of a conversation piece that a means of filtration.

Bavass what is your pH?

8.0-8.2 the last time I checked it s few weeks ago but my ph has never moved from that range. I keep my alkalinity at 11dKH

Back
Top Bottom