What type of coral is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rufus1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

What type of coral do I have here?

Also, why is there a white film growing over top of the coral?

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2034533782.jpg
    image-2034533782.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 83
I dont think there is a coral..or an alive one. Looks like dead xenia IMO

Gboy66 said:
I dont think there is a coral..or an alive one. Looks like dead xenia IMO

Well that is frustrating. I cycled my tank for almost 2 months and got ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites to 0. I then added 2 corals, 4 hermit crabs, and a snail and my water parameters are fluctuating everyday.

I don't use ro water but buy the 5 gallon size natural water and use nutrafin aqua plus then nutrafin cycle to add beneficial bacteria. Could this be my problem?

Thannks

melosu58 said:
What are your water test results right now?

They are:
Ph 7.9
Ammonia 1.2
Nitrite .3ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

I just did a 25% water change trying to get these to come down.

Also I removed the dead coral from the tank as that could be a cause.

I have another coral that is not doing well. (pictured)

Attachments

• image-331810403.jpg
    image-331810403.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 75
Danyboy said:
You need longer lighting periods

Thanks. I usually turn on the blue led's from 10pm-7am. I will leave the white led's on overnight and update on reaction.

They are:
Ph 7.9
Ammonia 1.2
Nitrite .3ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
)

These results say that you are not cycled. Being cycled means you have the bacteria in the tank to consume ammonia and nitrite. Having any detectable levels means you either aren't cycled at all or you added 5 tangs to your tank at once.

Sniperhank said:
These results say that you are not cycled. Being cycled means you have the bacteria in the tank to consume ammonia and nitrite. Having any detectable levels means you either aren't cycled at all or you added 5 tangs to your tank at once.

Ok. I suppose I could be going about this the wrong way then. If I add nutrafin cycle, am I not adding in the beneficial bacteria that should be neutralizing the the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites?

I have had the tank set up fishless for almost 2 months. How else can I help the tank cycle now that I have 1 coral, live rock, 4 hermit crabs, and 1 snail?

Appreciate your help!

Those cycles in a bottle are pretty much garbage. Even if they did work, without having fish in the tank you had nothing to produce ammonia. Without producing ammonia you starved the bacteria and you no longer have any. You need to cycle again.

Sniperhank said:
Those cycles in a bottle are pretty much garbage. Even if they did work, without having fish in the tank you had nothing to produce ammonia. Without producing ammonia you starved the bacteria and you no longer have any. You need to cycle again.

Ok. So now that ammonia is present, CanI just continue to do water changes weekly and the tank will cycle? Hermit crabs will continue to produce ammonia and bacteria will build on its own?

What I'm asking is what is my next step to re cycle?

Throw an uncooked shrimp in and keep doing your water changes to keep the parameters down, as any ammonia/nitrite is deadly. Once it is cycled, put a fish in the tank to keep the ammonia going.

Sniperhank said:
Throw an uncooked shrimp in and keep doing your water changes to keep the parameters down, as any ammonia/nitrite is deadly. Once it is cycled, put a fish in the tank to keep the ammonia going.

Great! Thanks. I will keep u posted on the success.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom