what you dont want to hear about cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doogle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
okay, i have been thinking about this more and now i can put it into words...(thanks, i know)... you take media from an established tank like you say, the beneficial bacteria will die if there is no ammonia to feed from, so you can put a filter or gravel from an established tank all you want(if you can spare it!) but without ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria it will die off, and the good bacteria will only* be less than * or equal* to the amount of ammonia present in the tank. so once again i think adding ammonia or dirty water is better and faster at growing "good" bacteria because it will die off untill there is enough ammonia to grow and FEED the"good" beneficial nitrifying bacteria we all want to grow... okay, im done...what do you guys think about that ? either way you get a mini cycle... but i want to hear what you guys think about this !
.. thanks - doogle

Add pure ammo, fish food flakes, or a raw shrimp and you're feeding the bacteria. As long as the bacteria are wet they survie, they just don't propagate the way we'd like at first.

A mini cycle can happen in a fully established tank and I know because I just had one, but a 50% PWC for a couple days and it's gone.

okay im trying a bacteria booster 'cycle' reduces fish loss, blah, blah. it says it has dormant bacterias in it. it has been a week and water paremeters still look like a new tank...

The problem with the "bacteria in bottle" is that it is the wrong type of bacteria. The bacteria in those bottles is anaerobic bacteria (doesn't need oxygen) while the bacteria that you really want is aerobic bacteria (needs oxygen). I am sure that there is some science behind those products but most are made to get your $$. Also, most of those bottles have sat on the shelf for who knows how long and have probably expired.

Like I said tho, I am sure there are a few products that work but most are rubbish IMHO. This is probably why your tank is still looking new

it actually mentions something like that on the bottle, that is why they use a dormant state of bacteria, so it will last on the shelf. i was hoping to see some proof of a cycle,but i need more ammonia.

I used API stability and it worked great, my parmeters are perfect and I started this up in the worst way, with a whole load of fish, anyway stability did a great job helping my tank cycle

I do agree that these companies put some science behind these products, maybe they use dormant bacterias, maybe they use spores of the bacterias....

But also the reality is what you are experiencing "it has been a week and water paremeters still look like a new tank... So in conclusion the science behind this product is not 100% guarantee...yes there are some good examples also, as the one mentioned by Big-j, but, in the majority of the cases, these products doesn't work as promised in the labels.

If these items were 100% guarantee "Why we will be discussing Nitrogen cycle in hundreds of treads in these forums?

just my opinion:band:

I do agree that these companies put some science behind these products, maybe they use dormant bacterias, maybe they use spores of the bacterias....

But also the reality is what you are experiencing "it has been a week and water paremeters still look like a new tank... So in conclusion the science behind this product is not 100% guarantee...yes there are some good examples also, as the one mentioned by Big-j, but, in the majority of the cases, these products doesn't work as promised in the labels.

If these items were 100% guarantee "Why we will be discussing Nitrogen cycle in hundreds of treads in these forums?

just my opinion:band:

Nice post. Thanks.

*Shrugs*

I've used Cycle and Stability for cycling tanks and had great results. Throw a couple of dead shrimp in a stocking, dose the tank per instructions, day 5 add a cycled filter, maybe even some gravel from an established tank, day 10 do a water change, sometime between day 11-15 slowly add fish.

But, the bacteria mainly live on the decor, substrate, filter media etc, not so much in the water column. Adding dirty water is adding the nasty stuff. Basically dipping your water glass into a toilet for a fill up.

But.... if you add a cycled filter, you are ready for a small bioload of fish right then and there. No need for additives of any kind.

But.... if you add a cycled filter, you are ready for a small bioload of fish right then and there. No need for additives of any kind.
Yep. This is what I do. I pulled a filter off my 150g and put on my 40 breeder... added fish the next day. quite a big bioload IMO and never saw the least amount of ammonia.

I had the same issue with the bacteria in a bottle. I used Stress Zyme and aqua something. I read an article.on here and it said to put 1 to 2 drops per 4 gallons of water of Ph down. In just 2 days I have nitrites and nitrates off the API chart. Just did a 60 % water change and they are still off the chart. Try ph down and add a bubble wand. I added that in my 55 gallon and upgraded my air pump to a 100 gallon Petco brand and baaaammmm. Give it a try...Its working for me. Good luck

Edit: I started from scratch. No.used media.or substrate

Deckape said:
I had the same issue with the bacteria in a bottle. I used Stress Zyme and aqua something. I read an article.on here and it said to put 1 to 2 drops per 4 gallons of water of Ph down. In just 2 days I have nitrites and nitrates off the API chart. Just did a 60 % water change and they are still off the chart. Try ph down and add a bubble wand. I added that in my 55 gallon and upgraded my air pump to a 100 gallon Petco brand and baaaammmm. Give it a try...Its working for me. Good luck

Edit: I started from scratch. No.used media.or substrate

I will do.another PWC.in the morning to get them down.a.little more...Oh by the way Its fishless.....

Deckape said:
I will do.another PWC.in the morning to get them down.a.little more...Oh by the way Its fishless.....

7Enigma wrote it...Need to add to his or her rep!!! Thanks

Yep. This is what I do. I pulled a filter off my 150g and put on my 40 breeder... added fish the next day. quite a big bioload IMO and never saw the least amount of ammonia.

Same. I usually move substrate (even if temporarily) too as it's going to contain something which would cause ammonia, whether it's poop or vegetation.

Adding dirty water is adding the nasty stuff. Basically dipping your water glass into a toilet for a fill up.

The clarity of your toilet water is directly proportional to the clarity of your tapwater. If you don't keep your toilet bowl clean that's your fault.

The clarity of your toilet water is directly proportional to the clarity of your tapwater. If you don't keep your toilet bowl clean that's your fault.
I don't think she means clarity. Would you dip a cup in and take a drink out of your toilet after you used the bathroom?

Back
Top Bottom