what you dont want to hear about cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um, how is putting in old tank water then topping up with fresh with a new tank any different to doing a water change?

When I seed a brand new tank I put an established filter, some established substrate and some established tank water into the new tank. I normally take whatever water is needed to fill 50% of the new tank. I then topup with fresh and add fish immediately. I also obviously topup the source tank.

What this does is instantly establishes two tanks. And both tanks will basically just have had a 50% water change. Using old tank water isn't a bad thing, infact if you're moving the fish it's going to make things a[moderator edit]of a lot easier as your new tank is instantly the same temp, pH etc as your other tank.

Didn't say that it was. My point was that it isn't necessary to move over dirty water, so I don't do it. My fish are used to large water changes such that 100% fresh dechlorinated tap water isn't going to shock them. I didn't explain that so well the first time. Dirty water does not establish the tank instantly. It's the filter media, gravel, decor, etc. that will do the trick.

I'm completely not arguing with anyone here...typically when starting up I move over filter media..however, I had a scenario once where I wasn't able to do that, and needed an immediate home for a betta. I filled his 5 gal tank with water from my DT and tested daily. There was two days where he had .25 or less ammo. Never nitrites. So a little mini cycle right. The good stuff I needed must have moved over in the water right? I didn't think it was going to work this well but it did. Maybe because it was just a 5 gal with one fish it was enough? Just my experience.

i took 10g's out of mt dt and put it in a 20g with 50% new water and a new aquaclear50, less than a week it was running nitrates(few days really)a mini cycle, and no problems..

doogle said:
you may or may not have to read or respond, thats up to you. so now there is no way established water put in a tank with no bacteria colony in it will have any ammo in it?

A cycled ESTABLISHED tank should NEVER show an ammonia reading, so what you are saying about needing an ammonia source and using old tank water to get it is wrong. Do some research. Everyone on this site has years of it. No matter how many times you reply your theory of old tank water cycling a new tank is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

severum mama said:
Drop in used filter media, drop in light bioload, no issues whatsoever. I have literally done this hundreds of times. Moving dirty water is just moving dirty water. When I upgrade I do not use the dirty water. There is simply no need and all my fish are used to huge water changes anyway. You're really overcomplicating things IMO.

This is why I was thinking of trying. Do you just let it float around?

i know how you should cycle a tank(regardless of my thread), established isnt the topic, im saying it is fine to use water or ammonia source to grow bacteria, you shouldnt have to rob bacteria from another tank. believe me, i know you should grab a filter to HELP cycle a tank, but you need ammonia to keep the bacteria colony growing. everyone has a different situation and needs to satisfy, some can easily use old water, others have reasons not to, how much ammonia or bacteria source is in water is debatable...

Established media + light bioload has always worked for me. I've also transplanted plants from an old tank but I don't know how much of an effect that has on things.

I'm also a fan of the 'silent cycle'. I think that's my favorite.

another time i used water from my cichlid tank, and got a brand new 10g w filter(made a small breeder tank), for my pregnant red zebra, i used the water from cichlid tank and one handfull of gravel from the tank to help with the ammonia spike(i know because i had a ammo spike when adding water from my other tank into my then new 20g) so dirty water has to have an ammo source in it if you have no bacteria colony. if there is no nitrifying bacterias to help water (ammo) nitrify, the dirty water will be its base form, ammonia. but at the speed of which it nitrifies , the dirty water must have a little nitrifying bacteria in it.

bacteria resides on surfaces, not in the water column. that said, bacteria is on everything. even a brand new tank BEFORE you add water to it.

mr_X said:
bacteria resides on surfaces, not in the water column. that said, bacteria is on everything. even a brand new tank BEFORE you add water to it.

But.... Are they the beneficial kind?

Back
Top Bottom