What's a good species to breed in a...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to build a wood stand that holds three 10gallons on one shelf and two 20 gallons on another! I would like to know what I could breed in these tanks! I am already breeding rams & guppies!

I would like one of the 10s to have rcs but I would like to know yalls advice about them! I keep ghost shrimp and had no luck but people say rcs are easy!

I would love to try a pair of apistos or kribs! Are they easy to breed?

Also I will have a sponge filter and a heater I each tank. I'm going to use shop lights for lighting and maybe a few low light plants

I need 2 other species of fish 1 a 10g and for 20g

The pic is what I want to build with 10s on top

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ghost shrimp always died on me. I've got some RCS and they are doing great.

I got RCS and Kribs.

Caleb

Well how many tanks do you have dedicated to guppies and how many strains of guppies do you have. The pro guppy breeders use 8 to 10 tanks of 10g size to breed 1 strain of guppies. That is a big mistake that I made. Not having enough tanks per strain. Just one tank doesn't cut it. Just for the strain I sell to the lfs I have 5 tanks and only 1 is even a 10g. That's without line breeding or anything. It only took 6 to 8 on the for that to get out of hand with too many fish in too few tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I should also mention I don't cull except to give the undesirable fish to people with oscars etc.

Also I keep RCS with the guppies.

I really wanted to try something different than guppies but maybe if I find a turquoise pair I might try them! And also rcs what's a good price for a rcs and how many should i get to start my colony

If you have bred rams you may find more reward with apistos.
Rams and guppies with good success?

Maybe cories in the 20s with eggs going to the 10s?

If you have bred rams you may find more reward with apistos.
Rams and guppies with good success?

Maybe cories in the 20s with eggs going to the 10s?

My rams always ate the eggs! But I have had convicts to the did good! And yes guppies were a big success! I want to try cories i think! I really like albino and panda cories! Do they breed well? What female/male ratio should i do for cories? I never had cories before sorry for all the questions!

My rams always ate the eggs! But I have had convicts to the did good! And yes guppies were a big success! I want to try cories i think! I really like albino and panda cories! Do they breed well? What female/male ratio should i do for cories? I never had cories before sorry for all the questions!

Albinos would probably be easier than pandas. I think it is generally recommended 2-3 male per female.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Albinos would probably be easier than pandas. I think it is generally recommended 2-3 male per female.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Can i keep maybe 3 albinos and few other kind of cories together? Do they school together if they are different?

Only if they have to. It would really be better to have just one species, because they will separate into each species if there are large enough groups.

Fishobsessed7

The cories really prefer their own company.:flowers:
If you are going to breed you don't want more then one kind in the tank IMO as you would not know for sure whose eggs you were pulling???:facepalm:
I believe some cories do cross breed(hybridize)also which is really not much more appreciated in the corie world then with cichlids!!!:nono:
Usually if this even a possibility most ethical keepers/breeders are strongly discouraged to ever sell the hybrid.....:banghead:

Pick a kind you like.
if you have success you a light on tanks to begin with IMO:eek:!

If your focus is on breeding why wouldn't you keep a species only tank to breed them? Why would you mix them? And Coral is right hybrid corys are very frowned upon. You wouldn't be able to sell them to a reputable shop and it would be unethical to sell them period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I have 20 tanks to put different ones in! I was wondering because I wanted different species in my show tank! And then I will have a breeding tank for the others!! And I would not sell them I would keep the hybrids if that did happen! I would separate them if they did hybrids

As was mentioned before corys like their own kind so they would be happier in a large group of all one kind. If you have a very large tank you could add two large groups. I think it would be a constant battle to dispose of the eggs if your corys spawn as much as mine do.

As was mentioned before corys like their own kind so they would be happier in a large group of all one kind. If you have a very large tank you could add two large groups. I think it would be a constant battle to dispose of the eggs if your corys spawn as much as mine do.

I ended up getting 6 Punctatus corys. I wanted albinos but they were 7 dollars per fish and these were 4.99! These are also pretty large so I'm hoping to get them in there new homes ASAP! I'm I love with there color! I can't wait to have some babies!

Cute species of corys. That pricing is weird. Normally albino aeneus are the cheapest. Try reading up on them at scotcat.com or planetcatfish for their specific breeding needs.

Cute species of corys. That pricing is weird. Normally albino aeneus are the cheapest. Try reading up on them at scotcat.com or planetcatfish for their specific breeding needs.

I got a question! There is only one or 2 that has a lighter band around its eyes! The rest of them are very dark? Is it a different kind? And I know they are settling in but they just stay in one corner and really don't move unless I walk to that side! I also don't know If they are eating I have feed them shrimp pellets, alge pellets, flake food, and a little piece of feeder block! I have some frozen brine shrimp should i try that?

Attachments

• 1445295370436.jpg
    1445295370436.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 54
I can't tell if they are different species from the pic. Yes they would probably live thawed frozen brine shrimp. Some corys are very shy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Ghost shrimp always died on me. I've got some RCS and they are doing great.

I got RCS and Kribs.

Caleb

I didn't find any rcs but I purchased 2 kribs! I got one with a pink belly and the other top fin is longer and more colorful! I think I have a Male and female I'm not sure! I have them in a 10 g right now for quarantine! The tank is bar and I have floating plants and a Tera Cota pot in with them! They will not come out of the pot for anything they are so shy! And the pet store they came right up to me! I know they are settling in but it's been almost 4 days? Is this normal? Also the one with the pink belly one, her belly is huge!! Is she about lay eggs?

Back
Top Bottom