What's a good substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 29g and painted the back black so my plants would pop! My plants dont seem to grow well in gravel! I have a strip light for lighting with a plant bulb in it! I dose it with the fertilizer! But in my new tank I want a good substrate so my plants will grow and florish! I only have java fern and amazon sword!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well for the Java fern you don't need substrate. Just attach it to driftwood or rocks. If you do plant the roots of it, leave the rhizome above the substrate. The Amazon sword on the other hand is a root feeder and will need fertilizers in the substrate. This can be done with root tabs or nutrient rich substrate like dirt or aqua soil. My preference is sand and Eco complete. These are easy to maintain, plant in, and root tabs added for the root feeding plants. Sand is super cheap. Mostly I use black diamond blasting abrasive which is just like sand. More important to plants than the substrate are the lights.

Well for the Java fern you don't need substrate. Just attach it to driftwood or rocks. If you do plant the roots of it, leave the rhizome above the substrate. The Amazon sword on the other hand is a root feeder and will need fertilizers in the substrate. This can be done with root tabs or nutrient rich substrate like dirt or aqua soil. My preference is sand and Eco complete. These are easy to maintain, plant in, and root tabs added for the root feeding plants. Sand is super cheap. Mostly I use black diamond blasting abrasive which is just like sand. More important to plants than the substrate are the lights.

I can get eco complete at petsmart I think and I looked up black Diamond sand and it said I could get it at tractor supply! How do you wash it? It looked like it stained things! I have no idea I'm just asking! And do you put down the eco complete then sand? And I got me some root tabs for my new tank! I plan on getting me some more plants to go in my tank ! They had a big potted amazon sword for 5$ is there any other cheap hardy plants that would be good?

Black diamond comes from tractor supply, yes. As for rinsing, get yourself a 5g bucket or other large container. Pour 1/4-1/3 the bag into bucket, add water hose (I use my bath tub lol) and let the bucket fill. Give it occasional stir and tossing to release any nasty stuff. Repeat until the desired amount is cleaned and use as normal. It doesn't stain anything, I use it in two of my tanks.

Jesse

I ended up getting floramax and the black diamond blasting sand! So I put the floramax down first then the sand? And I got a 50 pound back how much do yall suggest I put? I want it to look nice!

I ended up getting floramax and the black diamond blasting sand! So I put the floramax down first then the sand? And I got a 50 pound back how much do yall suggest I put? I want it to look nice!

You should put all of it as you need to have a good amount of depth for plants.

I also think that the single strip light, plant bulb or not, is contributing to the problem, especially in a 29g.

I also think that the single strip light, plant bulb or not, is contributing to the problem, especially in a 29g.

Good point. Lighting can be the determining factor between dying plants and healthy regardless of fertilizers.

Caleb

Yes I'm not home at the moment but as soon as I get there I will look because it has slipped my mind!! When I started I thought that this light would be ok but I think all it is doing is making it grow alge!

I'd say an 1 1/2"-2" deep in front sloping up towards the back of the tank to a depth of 3"...you'll not be able to keep the sand&floramax from mixing...the sand will inevitably make it's way to the bottom of the tank...

20L Mafia...

T8

Yeah man a T8 won't really grow plants on a 29G. You might also be getting algae from excess ferts if your dosing a bit much all at once or leaving the lights on too long. How long do you keep on your lights? As for lights, you might want to look into a dual T5 fixture. Pet mountain has some on a major sale, I'm talking 50% off and if you're a new customer you get extra 10% off. Can't beat that.

Yeah man a T8 won't really grow plants on a 29G. You might also be getting algae from excess ferts if your dosing a bit much all at once or leaving the lights on too long. How long do you keep on your lights? As for lights, you might want to look into a dual T5 fixture. Pet mountain has some on a major sale, I'm talking 50% off and if you're a new customer you get extra 10% off. Can't beat that.

What is the difference between these two? Besides the price ?

Attachments

• 1437798250483.jpg
    1437798250483.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1437798267216.jpg
    1437798267216.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 47
What is the difference between these two? Besides the price ?

More bulbs. Honestly I like LED. Finnex is my personal favorite and use them on my planted tanks. They can run anywhere from $40-$150.

Caleb

More bulbs. Honestly I like LED. Finnex is my personal favorite and use them on my planted tanks. They can run anywhere from $40-$150.

Caleb

Hey man, looking to DIY something cheap for my canopy. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shop lights for those T5 bulbs are much cheaper they can just be an eyesore. If you are good with DIY though I'm sure you can find ways to brighten up the fixture.

Caleb

Shop lights for those T5 bulbs are much cheaper they can just be an eyesore. If you are good with DIY though I'm sure you can find ways to brighten up the fixture.

Caleb

Building a small custom canopy, should be able to squeeze 3 2ft bulbs, just got to figure out how to wire them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom