What's eating my cardinals at night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tim Wheatley said:
That's something you may want to consider roydooms as I think you have had a lot of losses. A good fish store should hold fish for you after you purchase. I go into my LFS on a Wednesday (their delivery day) and if I want something I will pay for it, but I won't take it for a few days because I want to ensure it's going to survive the delivery to the LFS.

I think I'll stop buying fish from petsmart/petco. I'd rather buy from an LFS an hour drive away than get frustrated and lose more fish. The 10 cardinals that I have before I added the new ones were petsmart as well. I've had them for 3 weeks now and still looking healthy. They don't school that much anymore and spread out all over the tank. So pretty much they are comfortable. I added peat too to lower the pH and soften the water.

Really frustrating for you I'm sure, but I tend agree with HN1. It's hard to believe fish the size of your angels or black skirts are eating healthy fish which is why I inquired about your BGK.

I have a petsmart and a petco within 10 minutes of my house, but I often drive 40 minutes to go to completely different fish store (TFP) instead for whatever I need. Sometimes the drive is worth it, IMO.

Coleallensmom said:
Toxicfish, how many Black Skirts do you have? Did you ever actually see the black skirts kill a healthy neon? Black skirts can be nippy when not kept in a group but I have 7 in my community tank and they are very peaceful. I've never once seen mine chase or harass any of the other fish in my tank.

I had six, but recently lost one (he was sick since new) so now I have 5, I was looking to increase their numbers, but i'm holding out at the moment to see just how nippy they can be... (will decide future choices etc etc).

I hope you can work out whom the culprit is, but its true, don't rule out a fish that died off and then got picked apart by the occupants of your tank..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom