What's involved in filter maintenance??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes people should take whatever precautions they need as to not be stressed out about the hobby. While I understand the peace of mind from taking extra precautions, there's also peace of mind to be had from not fearing things that don't need to be feared. There are lots of people who clean with tap water that say it's fine, and lots of people who have never that say it's not. Hopefully knowing that there are people who do will give others some piece of mind about just how dangerous it is, and when faced with some really dirty media perhaps they take just that piece to the sink for cleaning without stressing about it.

I have well water, so i rinse with abandon. Occasionally i'll even put the media in a colander and really rinse it well. I've never had any (observable) adverse affects.

Yes people should take whatever precautions they need as to not be stressed out about the hobby. While I understand the peace of mind from taking extra precautions, there's also peace of mind to be had from not fearing things that don't need to be feared. There are lots of people who clean with tap water that say it's fine, and lots of people who have never that say it's not. Hopefully knowing that there are people who do will give others some piece of mind about just how dangerous it is, and when faced with some really dirty media perhaps they take just that piece to the sink for cleaning without stressing about it.

I'm not sure about this aqua holic. Are you suggesting that the majority of people who dechlorinate are fussing over nothing?

I have certainly answered many many threads on here where bacterial blooms and mini cycles have directly been linked to cleaning filter media in tap water. Now I'm not saying that this is a 100% a direct result of chlorine exposure but you have to remember that not all municipalities are the same. What may work in your case may not for others and so for that reason I would err on the side of caution and advise the use of a water conditioner and at the very least a dechlorinator.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, we are talking about cleaning media not dosing dechlorinator after a water change. Those are two completely different things. I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone soak their media in tap water overnight same as I wouldn't suggest not using water conditioner.

I enjoy reading these threads, Jessie as you can see there is no right or wrong way. Do what works best for you. There are a lot of variables that were listed. For me I run 2 canisters, I clean my fluval which has a mix of mechanical and bio once a month in tank water. My other filter has all biological I clean that every 2 months again in tank water. I do 50% WC once a week.

No, we are talking about cleaning media not dosing dechlorinator after a water change. Those are two completely different things. I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone soak their media in tap water overnight same as I wouldn't suggest not using water conditioner.

I was referring to media. I didn't mention water changes.

I just wouldn't want any beginners going through the whole (sometimes stressful) cycling process to come here and read that it's ok to wash their media straight under the tap because someone says it's ok and the bacteria can withstand short term exposure.

I'd love for this to be 100% accurate I really would. It might be, but Id need solid data conducted through scientific studies for me to confidently place my media directly under the tap. Then I might start trying to tell people that there is really nothing to worry about.

For now, what I do know is that I've seen this happen myself and that I've helped people narrow blooms and cycles down to their tap water destroying the bacteria. And when I use dechlorinated or tank water I don't see these things happen.

I'm not arguing that there are no repercussions for you. But like I said your supply may be different to the next person.

If you are basing your theory on scientific research then great. I love a good read.

I may actually look in to this myself. I haven't read for a while.

You were referring to dechlorinating media?? I don't understand....

Scientific research?? This is fish keeping.... There's no one researching this. No one outside the world of fish forums cares. Did you require scientific research to begin believing that 2 minutes in tap water will sterilize the media?

You were referring to dechlorinating media?? I don't understand....

Scientific research?? This is fish keeping.... There's no one researching this. No one outside the world of fish forums cares. Did you require scientific research to begin believing that 2 minutes in tap water will sterilize the media?

Some people will used dechlorinated tap water and/or removed tank water to rinse their media as not to lose or degrade the bacterial colony.

You would be surprised what tests have been conducted by scientists regarding this hobby. How do you think we have gotten this far?

No I didn't require scientific research to believe this. That's why I wanted to look in to it a bit more. What I do know is what I've read and seen and that 90% of the fish keeping population use and advocate the use dechlorinated tap water or old tank water to rinse media. For these reason alone I would certainly not recommend rinsing media under tap water until I had all the facts.

It could be a huge corporate conspiracy to make money on these products no?

At least I am basing my decision on something. I was just asking where you heard /read that tap water doesn't harm bio filters during short exposures that all?

It would be interesting to see it.

I was on a forum once where 90% of the people said small tanks can't be cycled. Popular opinion does not make something so. One of the big hindrances to progress in this hobby is the parrot effect - people blindly repeating what they have heard, right or wrong. The Internet is wonderful and all, but it's got it's pitfalls as well. It's great that people can come here and learn about the hobby, but information without experience for perspective can be extremely misleading. There are soooooo many myths out there.

I am basing this on my extensive experience with the practice, as well as that of many other very experience fish keepers I've found over the years that do the same thing. Many people simply aren't interested in engaging in a conversation like this though. I mean, who wants to get into a debate with people who have no experience with the subject matter?

But let's look at what we know and step away from the theoretical ideas. There's more bacteria in the aquarium system than what's in the filter. I'm sure you would agree that biomedia does not get dirty like mechanical media, yeah? I think you would also agree that it doesn't take more than a couple dips to clean the biomedia. I know for me it only takes literally a few seconds to clean a tray of biomax in the sink. So can we agree that the biomedia will be left intact, or do you truly believe that 3 seconds of tap water will ruin it? So really, all we are talking about cleaning here is the mechanical media. Wouldn't you agree that the bacteria living on the mechanical media is just a fraction of the total bacteria colony of the aquarium system? Heck, it's just a fraction of the bacteria living just in the filter. So even if all the bacteria on the mechanical media were destroyed, we are only talking about a fraction of the total population.

This line of thinking is universally supported by the industry. Filters have dedicated biomedia so that cartridges and filter pads can be thrown out without losing the cycle. Surely you must agree that more bacteria survives being washed in the sink than drying out in the garbage, and if one can replace mechanical media in a filter without losing the cycle then how can there be any harm in washing and reusing it?

Some things you just have to find out for yourself, though.

One thing I feel needs to be said... not all tap is the same, therefor not all tap is necessarily harmful to BB. Quick example. Jimmy has a well, all natural, Jimmy can wash his media out in the sink.. Brooks has soft city water loaded with chlorine, brooks washes his media in the sink and it's bye bye bugs:(
You may proceed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My goldfish filter gets cleaned every 2 weeks, any longer then that and sponges are gross and slimey

My pleco and cory tanks get filters cleaned every month as there's stays cleaner.

Baby corys have a sponge filter so every other day

I only ever clean my filters with fish tank water, NEVER tap water, I've got canister filters, box filters and sponge filters and they all get the same treatment,

I would recommend that with a box or canister filter, to wipe inside with a sponge as they do get bits in there and look an feel horrible(hope you understand what I mean)

Sent from fish phone

I was on a forum once where 90% of the people said small tanks can't be cycled. Popular opinion does not make something so. One of the big hindrances to progress in this hobby is the parrot effect - people blindly repeating what they have heard, right or wrong.

and that's the part I can agree on, the rest, hmmmm.

Your whole idea about cleaning filter components is more or less correct, EXCEPT that it ALL depends on the stocking levels/bio-load the filter is supporting. If it is at it's upper limit, then, yes, rinsing the media in tap water can have a dramatic impact on the systems balance. Given that the vast majority of filters I have seen available are rather weak for the applications they are rated for, I can very easily see havoc being wreaked by rinsing the sponge media in tap water.

Also you need to understand that some things happen pretty much instantaneously, such as chlorine killing bacteria on contact, (why do you think they use it?) The problem with it is that for the most part no two cities water supplies are going to be the same, and as chlorine readily dissipates, and it is routinely added/supplemented, you can never know with certainty what the levels are from day to day.

The answer is redundant systems, but most folks don't want the added expense/work of maintaining two filters and ideally two different types of filters. ;)

as to the OP's initial question. If you have a heavy stocking and/or feed heavily, than you should be cleaning/rinsing out the sponge/mechanical media weekly or bi-weekly at the least. If it has been months, then you need to clean the entire lot as I'm sure there is muck clogging the bio-media by now and then adopt a weekly routine of cleaning and water changes.

I was on a forum once where 90% of the people said small tanks can't be cycled. Popular opinion does not make something so. One of the big hindrances to progress in this hobby is the parrot effect - people blindly repeating what they have heard, right or wrong. The Internet is wonderful and all, but it's got it's pitfalls as well. It's great that people can come here and learn about the hobby, but information without experience for perspective can be extremely misleading. There are soooooo many myths out there.

I am basing this on my extensive experience with the practice, as well as that of many other very experience fish keepers I've found over the years that do the same thing. Many people simply aren't interested in engaging in a conversation like this though. I mean, who wants to get into a debate with people who have no experience with the subject matter?

But let's look at what we know and step away from the theoretical ideas. There's more bacteria in the aquarium system than what's in the filter. I'm sure you would agree that biomedia does not get dirty like mechanical media, yeah? I think you would also agree that it doesn't take more than a couple dips to clean the biomedia. I know for me it only takes literally a few seconds to clean a tray of biomax in the sink. So can we agree that the biomedia will be left intact, or do you truly believe that 3 seconds of tap water will ruin it? So really, all we are talking about cleaning here is the mechanical media. Wouldn't you agree that the bacteria living on the mechanical media is just a fraction of the total bacteria colony of the aquarium system? Heck, it's just a fraction of the bacteria living just in the filter. So even if all the bacteria on the mechanical media were destroyed, we are only talking about a fraction of the total population.

This line of thinking is universally supported by the industry. Filters have dedicated biomedia so that cartridges and filter pads can be thrown out without losing the cycle. Surely you must agree that more bacteria survives being washed in the sink than drying out in the garbage, and if one can replace mechanical media in a filter without losing the cycle then how can there be any harm in washing and reusing it?

Some things you just have to find out for yourself, though.

Aqua holic, I don't think that we are too dissimilar. I also know that there are a lot of myths out there well maybe not just myths but more over exaggerations. If I fully support something to the point of debate i would have to be pretty **** certain that what I was saying was correct for everyone. I don't feel that you have provided me with enough for me to change my mind at all. Not that that's what you are aiming to do. I'm sure I haven't provided you with enough to make you think twice about rinsing your sponge under the tap.

Parrot fashioning does hinder this hobby and I can't stand it as much as the Next person but if you are going to change be an exception to the rule then you're gonna have to provide some solid reasons other than 'well it works for me so everyone else must be exaggerating'

I have an open mind. I can admit when I am wrong but you are going to be hard pressed to change the practices of decades of fish keeping with what you have so far.

As for the bacteria in the system, lots of people, websites, channels believe that most of the bacteria is in the filter. I lean towards the system. Having said that, there are lots of cubic feet of surface area available to bacteria on one sponge filter same and biomedia. A mature system with sufficient media may not become unbalanced by rinsing in tap water, but that doesn't mean it's not killing the bacteria.

Well we can talk about this all day till we are blue in the face but I don't think we will agree. Perhaps I will look in to this or perhaps I will just continue rinsing in tap water. It's easy enough to do and it gives me piece of mind.

I meant tank water not tap at the end.

Oh just another note which i definitely know is correct. Filter manufacturers do know direct is to throw out media because the are confident in the knowledge out fish will be safe and we can sleep happier. They do this because 90% of their profit come from the cartridges.

This rings true in the hospital where I work too. Often sales reps from the manufacturers will supply the device/equipment free of charge because the consumables is were the money is and they can charge an absolute shed load.

and that's the part I can agree on, the rest, hmmmm.

Your whole idea about cleaning filter components is more or less correct, EXCEPT that it ALL depends on the stocking levels/bio-load the filter is supporting. If it is at it's upper limit, then, yes, rinsing the media in tap water can have a dramatic impact on the systems balance. Given that the vast majority of filters I have seen available are rather weak for the applications they are rated for, I can very easily see havoc being wreaked by rinsing the sponge media in tap water.

Also you need to understand that some things happen pretty much instantaneously, such as chlorine killing bacteria on contact, (why do you think they use it?) The problem with it is that for the most part no two cities water supplies are going to be the same, and as chlorine readily dissipates, and it is routinely added/supplemented, you can never know with certainty what the levels are from day to day.

The answer is redundant systems, but most folks don't want the added expense/work of maintaining two filters and ideally two different types of filters. ;)

as to the OP's initial question. If you have a heavy stocking and/or feed heavily, than you should be cleaning/rinsing out the sponge/mechanical media weekly or bi-weekly at the least. If it has been months, then you need to clean the entire lot as I'm sure there is muck clogging the bio-media by now and then adopt a weekly routine of cleaning and water changes.

I've done this with many tanks, over many years, stocked from 100 to 300% (according to aqadvisor....) and not seen an impact from any of them. Canister, HOB, 1 filter, 3 filters, it's all the same. You can see things happening because you're of that mindset.

Yes some things happen instantaneously. And some things don't. They use it to prevent the growth of bacteria, which is an entirely different task than killing an established bacterial colony. Your own argument supports this - you say the varying levels of chlorine in the water from municipality to municipality means varying levels of success. So the whole killing on contact thing is debatable at best. I mean, I'm sure that there is a concentration at which it WOULD kill everything on contact. Is that the level they use in our water supply? I highly doubt it. It's not even the level at which we dose swimming pools.....

And while we are talking about varying waters, honestly, the assumption that that matters is no different than the assumption that it doesn't matter.

I run multiple filters on my tanks. I find it makes for less work, not more. But that's neither here nor there for this discussion.

I meant tank water not tap at the end.

Oh just another note which i definitely know is correct. Filter manufacturers do know direct is to throw out media because the are confident in the knowledge out fish will be safe and we can sleep happier. They do this because 90% of their profit come from the cartridges.

Yes I definitely agree that they want you to throw out the media for the sales. However, that doesn't really have anything to do with what we are talking about because people follow those directions with success. I was one of them way back when. I had bio wheels so I tossed the cartridge every month like a good little consumer :)

Yes some things happen instantaneously. And some things don't. They use it to prevent the growth of bacteria, which is an entirely different task than killing an established bacterial colony. Your own argument supports this - you say the varying levels of chlorine in the water from municipality to municipality means varying levels of success. So the whole killing on contact thing is debatable at best. I mean, I'm sure that there is a concentration at which it WOULD kill everything on contact. Is that the level they use in our water supply? I highly doubt it. It's not even the level at which we dose swimming pools.....

uhmmm, you obviously failed to understand
the reason why chlorine/chloramine concentrations vary is because chlorine readily dissipates into the atmosphere, that is why they developed chloramine, the sunlight can't break the bond as fast so it stays in solution longer.
The uncertainty comes because of that propensity to dissipate AND water municipalities working to counter that by regularly adding more to the system, so without dynamic testing, you never know the exact concentrations in your tap water.

the whole bit about swimming pool chlorine is just silly and ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom