What's the best fish to have alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpNYR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 guppies (male, female) and 2 golden pristella tetras. I've been told to follow 1 inch of fish for every gallon. That would be 8 gallons right there.

I'm looking for a fish that can live alone. Something colorful that can live with guppies and the tetras. You can rule out Gourami's and Betta's because they'll most likely go after the Guppies at one point or another. Something that doesn't exceed 3" any suggestions?

Also, would I at any point need an algae eater of some kind? What should I target if I do? or would my fish do the job of eating algae in the future? I don't have a problem right now just curious.

It's a 10 gallon tank.

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry if this comes off as too blunt, but the inch per gallon rule isn't accurate in many cases, so I suggest ignoring it and instead researching the individual fish you are interested in to see their specific space/tankmate needs.
There are quite a few species of fish that really well in a 10g tank, but Pristella tetras are not on that list IMO. They are also schooling fish that do best in groups of at least 6 in a tank more like 20 gallons.
The guppies are fine for a 10g, but they should be kept in a gender ratio of 1m to 2-3f.
Sorry if this is not the advice you wanted, but I suggest you re-home the Pristellas and get another girl guppy or else re-home the girl you have.
A dwarf gourami wouldn't likely go after your guppies, but you are right that a betta likely would.
Another option for your tank would be a couple of platys. There are other options too, and I will gladly name some of them depending on what you want to do with your current stock. :)
You don't actually need an algae eater. Algae eaters only eat certain types of algae anyway, so its best to control algae by limited the amount of time lights are on and planting the tank if possible. If you want an algae eater, I suggest nerite snails. :)

The Golden Pristella Tetras seem very happy and have been in the tank for almost a month now. I have 2 of them and they're always swimming together. I introduced the 2 guppies today and they too are very happy. I acclimitated them the proper way. I'm not sure I'd need to re-home the tetra's to be honest...is it really not good to just have 2 of them?

The reason I brought up the 1 inch of fish for 1 gallon is im afraid to overstock. With the current stock in place, how many more fish do you believe I can add and what kinds?

Thanks for the response :)

Have you researched Pristella tetras at all? Again, I am not trying to come as harsh, I just see no reason to beat around the bush. I have kept schooling tetras in smaller in smaller groups, and they act differently when they have a full school of 6. Pristellas are not super sensitive or anything, so they will do fine for awhile, but schooling fish do best in schools. You are talking about fish that should live 3-5 years, so having them for a month doesn't really mean anything. They reach 2 inches and are more active than a 10g allows them to be. If you do not belive me, thats fine, but I suggest you do a little research on the species in order to make a decision. :)
Its good that you don't want to overstock, but overstocking also has to do with the activity level of the fish, their bioloads, and behavior as well as their adult sizes. :)

It's not that I don't believe you. I really do. It's just that I see with my own eyes the fish are doing very well.

I get that. Thats why I suggest you do some research about the species. The fish you buy are juveniles. They get bigger. So, its obviously up to you, but thats what I advise. Honestly, other people will probably chime in too with their own advise an opinions. Like I said, I am talking about a home where your fish will live happily for the 3-5 years that they should live, not just for a month. I am sure they are fine for a month, but thats not my point. I am not saying your fish are sitting there in misery or anything. But, they are young, will get bigger, and then that particular species does better in groups in a larger tank.
Have you tried googling Pristella tetras and reading about them? You should research any species you are potentially interested in to see if you can give it the right sort of home it needs to thrive.
Fish are great fun to have, and its awesome that you are interested in this hobby, so I imagine you want your fish to live out their full lifespans happily. :)

I get that. Thats why I suggest you do some research about the species. The fish you buy are juveniles. They get bigger. So, its obviously up to you, but thats what I advise. Honestly, other people will probably chime in too with their own advise an opinions. Like I said, I am talking about a home where your fish will live happily for the 3-5 years that they should live, not just for a month. I am sure they are fine for a month, but thats not my point. I am not saying your fish are sitting there in misery or anything. But, they are young, will get bigger, and then that particular species does better in groups in a larger tank.
Have you tried googling Pristella tetras and reading about them? You should research any species you are potentially interested in to see if you can give it the right sort of home it needs to thrive.
Fish are great fun to have, and its awesome that you are interested in this hobby, so I imagine you want your fish to live out their full lifespans happily. :)
Of course I have. I've done research for weeks before I started. Liveaqauria.com is very handy. I know that it says Pristellas are ideally best kept in schools of 6 or more :)

hpNYR said:
Of course I have. I've done research for weeks before I started. Liveaqauria.com is very handy. I know that it says Pristellas are ideally best kept in schools of 6 or more :)

Live aquaria has some spotty stocking info. For the most part its ok, because it has mostly correct info, but on some of the species it isn't right.

Thats good that you did research. Honestly, I do not always agree with liveaquaria.com. Some of its suggested tank sizes are rather ridiculous to me. But, to each his own. :) Its always good to read a variety of sources and to talk to people to have actually owned the fish. There will always be differences in opinion though. Thats just part of fishkeeping.
Good luck.

Thank you and thanks for the help. Do you guys have any reccomendations for something nice and colorful that can be kept solo with Guppies?

maybe you can change your stocking up? is that an option? if yes, it would open up lots of options like

3 otos(algae, add these last, they need other foods too)
1 Betta
6 Green neon tetras
OR
3 otos, shrimps, and 3 dario darios

if not, here is a colorful nice fish that can be kept with those

Maybe a betta, it most likely won't bother your tetras
idk where you got it going after any fish

i own 5 diff. bettas and ALL of them have never attacked any of my fish larger than 1/2"

they have eaten baby shrimps(1/2"), but nothing more
even scarlet badis are fine

No bettas with guppies. Its typically a bad idea.
A dwarf gourami would be ok with our guppies however. They do not chase color like a betta will. But, dg can be pretty delicate.
I also would only recommend a pair of otos for well-established 10g tank. Not everybody agrees about otos in a 10g at all however.
Scarlet badis are dleicate and often need live food, so they are a good choice for this tank IMO.
If you want to keep the guppies, you could add a couple of platys in there too, but watch the gender ratios. I still suggest you either re-home the female guppy or else get another female. :)
If you just have 1 male guppy, you could get a school of smaller fish to go in there too. Honestly, your options for just 1 fish are a little limited. You can look into sparkling gouramis or the croaking gourami. :)

If you want to keep the guppy pair and look into a school to go with them, there are a few more options I can list if you want. :)

There are Endler's livebearers, least killifish, ember tetras, pygmy corys, green neons, neons, chili rasbora, Asian stone catfish, and micro rasbora to name a few off the top of my head. Some other tiny schoolers like gold ringed danios or celestial pearl danios would probably be out-competed for food by the guppies. If it was me, I would go with either the guppies plus 6 ember tetras or else get more guppies and then also get 6 pygmy corys. :) There are actually 3 species of cory that do well in a 10g tank because they only reach an inch (pygmaeus, habrosus, hastotus (hope I spelled those right)). They are really cute and active.
You can also get a couple of nerite snails (they eat algae and don't reproduce in freshwater).

I should also add that the chilis could maybe be outcompeted for food, but I am not positive.
The Endlers can hyrbidize with guppies.

The pygmy corys....would they need a heavily planted tank? Theyre cute lil fish.

Depends. Not particularly, but 2 species are a bit more shy. I have ask siva which one is bolder. Also, the pygmaeus tend to hover around rather than just stick to the bottom. I will PM her though to get your answer. :)

Back
Top Bottom