What's the best fish to have alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as my filter, it's the aqua-tech power filter. It's a 3- -stage filtration for healthier fish and cleaner water. The first stage of the AQUA-Tech filtration is mechanical. The blue polyfiber pad that is integrated onto the EZ-Change Filter Cartridge screens out dirt and debris as water passes through. The second stage of the AQUA-Tech filtration is chemical. The activated carbon that is in the EZ-ChangeTM Filter Cartridge removes dissolved waste and cleans the water of odors. The third stage of the AQUA-Tech filtration is biological. The BIO-Fiber that is included in each AQUA-Tech Power Filter provides additional surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow and thrive.

Honestly, there is no guarantee either way. They are usually pretty good with peaceful community schoolers and usually only have problems with their own kind or with other territorial fish. But, guppies are not territorial. Of course, there is never a sure thing when dealing with live critters. :)
Personally, I avoid dg because a lot of the ones available are not very healthy. The breed has suffered from overbreeding in fish farms and many of them tend to just slowly waste away. But, some people have really good luck with them, so its all up to you!

Ok, thats good then. :)
I do suggest you with either the guppies/neons or with neons/dg for minimal conflict potential. :) Like I said, you can try it with the guppies and a dg, just keep an eye on it and make sure you get a dg from a good source and get one that is active/perky with no dead fish in the tank.

I have only had my dg about two months, so I know it's too early to tell for sure, but he seems healthy as can be, and I got him at Wal-Mart of all places! There are two male guppies in the tank, and as far as they're concerned, they're the only two there. They don't bother anyone, and no one gives them a second glance. I know my experiences are just one of many though.

Shane l said:
Has any one said a betta yet they are great but you need at least 5 gallons

Thy also need heated and filtered water... ( well all fish do unless in a warm area)

I have my guppies with neon tetras and I'm happy with that combination. The guppies usually stay on top while the neon tetras swim middle and bottom. It is very colorful. I agree you cannot put too many in a 10 gal and when your female guppy is pregnant you will need another tank. I keep only males and have other breeding tanks for guppy trios.

Last edited:
So with 4 guppies, what else can I add to my 10g? I can do the meons right? Maybe 5 of them?

So with 4 guppies, what else can I add to my 10g? I can do the meons right? Maybe 5 of them?
Tetras are fin nippers so there is a potential problem between the guppies and the neon tetras.

You seem to really want the neons! :) What I would do, if it was MY tank, is get the neons, but make sure there are about 5 nice tall plastic plants along the back of the tank. The neons will likely stay out front, and if the guppies feel threatened, they can go behind the plastic plants.

You seem to really want the neons! :) What I would do, if it was MY tank, is get the neons, but make sure there are about 5 nice tall plastic plants along the back of the tank. The neons will likely stay out front, and if the guppies feel threatened, they can go behind the plastic plants.

Well I would get whatever would go in a 10 gallon with 4 guppies. I was told a school of neons would work lol.

I think they will work. I think the tank is big enough, and I think the neons will chase the other neons, and not the guppies. Go for it :)

I think they will work. I think the tank is big enough, and I think the neons will chase the other neons, and not the guppies. Go for it :)

Thanks :) You think with 4 guppies and 5 neons..i'll have any room for anything else in the tank?

Well, I think that's probably full. But I have a bad habit of overstocking my tanks!!! I would think with live plants, good filtration and water changes each week you could put another in pretty easily. Many people will say not to though!

Back
Top Bottom