whats the best thing to use for a bed for a brackish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don0101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
whats the best thing to use for a bed for a brackish tank?

Gravel or sand will work. You can also use marine aragonite. Sand, silt or mud is usually the substrate you find in natural brackish environments, but of the 3 only sand is really suitable for aquariums.

I would lean towards gravel or aragonite, even though I have used sand with good results. Sand, particularly play sand, can compact too much and can make it hard for some rooted plants. It's compaction can also create "dead spots" that encourage anaerobic bacteria to grow. The hydrogen sulfide gas that can be given off from these pockets is deadly to any oxygen breathing animal if disturbed. One reason the UGF's aren't good to use, especially with sand. Gravel or aragonite is easier in my opinion.

Sand is good to use if you have fish that like to mix it up or burrow in it, such as loaches. Sand can be used, but needs to watched and possibly disturbed regularly.

also how do i get my ph higher for brackish tank dont i have to buy real coral or something like that?

Coral will have the opposite effect on your pH. The calcium carbonate in them lowers your pH. (strike this last, I'm just stupid. It is an alkaline substance so it raises the pH)

Have you tested your water to see if you need to raise the pH? Normally you don't want to chemically alter your water's pH unless it is truly necessary. If you need to alter your water's pH, a partial water change is a much better way to do it. Trying to change the pH chemically can cause a rollercoaster effect that will overly stress your fish if you don't understand the process really well.

Last edited:
well i dont have a brackish rolling yet i have a aquaclear 110 and a 20g tank what else do i need for the tank to get going i also have a 20g heater

argonite substates and crushed coral is the easiest ph buffer(ph up)... what are you keeping in your brackish tank? anyway someone was asking about ugf's... and sand is the last thing you want....if you are using a ugf, use gravel that is 1- 3 mm... that way it will not compact so much were detrius will not work its waY in the gravel... too big of gravel is not good either. some people push their ideas more than help your question...

whats ugfs and so i should use crushed coral as my bed and is a 110aquaclear filter to much power for a 20g tank ? will it make a tornado effect?

Oh crap what was I thinking???? I'm sorry, Doogle is right coral does raise your pH. I wasn't trying to "push" an idea either. I just shoudn't do this when I'm tired. Doogle is right about the gravel as well. I'd use gravel anywhere from .5mm to 3mm in size.

someone else is pushy and doesnt read questions well..i have aquaclear 50's on my 14 gallon and 20 gallon, but the filters have flow reduction to reduce water flow(and multiply filtration when reduced)i am thinking about a 110 to replace one of the filters on a 55g...but you can never have enough (filtration)and they are adjustable if the flow seems to much, if your fish are not teeny wenny then they should be fine at full gph...what fish are in the 20g?

none right now but do u think thats way to much power for a 20g/

If I recall correctly, the AC110 does less than 200 gph on the lowest flow setting. 200 is a good mark to shoot for, so while the filter itself is overkill, the flow won't plaster the fish to the glass.

I do. Like I said in your thread, the AC110 does 166 gph on it's lowest setting.

well do u do brackish what are some good fish to raise in it so later i can make them saltwater tank that im running

I'm strictly freshwater. I don't even want aquarium salt in the water.

why not ? and u dont add salt to a brackish tank do u ?

use marine salt for brackish...same as a saltwater tank, just less of it, you should get a hydrometer- at least. mollies are simple brackish fish that some use to cycle saltwater tanks. i have them and a spotted puffer in 2 brackish tanks. aquarium salt in recommended doses is good for freshwater fish

Mollies are not brackish. They are freshwater fish that can tolerate brackish and even marine salinity for short periods of time, but they are freshwater fish. If you keep them in brackish or salt all the time it will be harmful to their health long term.

Using salt all the time in freshwater tanks is also harmful long term. They are FRESHwater fish, they will thrive in freshwater. Use salt when needed to treat certain illnesses.

The AC110 does 500gph with full flow, even turned down all the way there is not a big difference in the flow rate coming out (well over 200gph).

Reducing the flow doesn't filter better. Filtration is a factor of media capacity and flow rate. Low flow rate reduces the overall filtration. There are few exceptions where lower flow is more effective, these are usually with media reactors for a specialized media like GFO.

Brackish water fish include Scats (my personal favorties), Monos (another favorite), Pufferfish, Archer Fish, many Gobies, White Tip Shark Cats, Platinum Barbs, Blue Panchax (a pretty fish), and Ricefish.

As for mollies not doing well in brackish tanks, that is the first time I've heard that. Mollies have been known to naturally occur in brackish waters, albeit sparsely. In the areas they inhabit in the wild they may often encounter brackish conditions. They should be able to handle the osmotic pressures involved.

Other freshwater fish like this are other livebearers such as swordfish and platies. I've kept all these fish in brackish tanks for years with no ill effect. They have even bred in them!

About the filter, if you are concerned about a strong flow into the tank, you can always redirect the flow along the surface of the water. This has the added benefit of breaking the surface tension of the water more, thereby improving your water oxygenation.

Yes, they do inhabit all types of salinity in nature, but their primary habitat is freshwater. They can tolerate brackish and full salt for short periods to find food and other behaviors.

Even living for years isn't by definition truly thriving. They may be more colorful, healthier, and even live longer if they had been kept in pure freshwater. Not dying immediately after being put into the brackish water doesn't mean it is the best thing for them.

There are many species of mollies, platies, guppies, etc. The ones you find in LFSs are captive bred on farms in all freshwater. These fish were not raised in the wild and may not be able to tolerate the salinity as well, even if they don't become visibly less healthy after being acclimated to brackish.

I wouldn't suggest anyone keep mollies in brackish water forever.

Back
Top Bottom