Whats the common name of this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anythingscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
It grows very easily and inexpensive, but the stores have different names for them.

img0932.jpg

img0929.jpg

I'm thinking it's a kind of Rotala or perhaps Mayaca.. I'll check what I can find. Looks like a nice plant.

Perhaps someone know exactly.

Yep, Anacharis. One note: it is sensitive to one or more of the chemicals in Flourish Excel and does not do well in tanks with Excel supplementation. Seachem actually mentions this on their website.

I also bleach dipped the first bundle of anacharis I got from the lfs-bad idea. It does not seem tolerant of bleach dips at ALL

Thanks guys, I noticed that if I break it in half, I could plant the other half somewhere else and it'll grow fine. I dont think I have to buy anymore of these. :D

i looked in a couple creeks nearby here, and i found a little bit growing. it looked a little bit different, but im sure it was anacheris

Actually Travis.. I would rarely disagree with you.. but I've had/had anacharis in an excel tank and now in an excel supplemented tank.

It not only grows fine, but it takes on a prettier form in my tank... I am assuming it is an emersed vs submersed thing.. but it becomes a finer stemmed /leafed plant.. sort of like a new shoot, but the shoots stay that way.

and they are very healthy.

I hate the thick form of anacharis, but this stuff is so pretty I don't have the heart to toss it even tho I really don't have room : )

sherry are you sure it's anacharis?

anacharis is egeria densa. the is another form of egeria--egeria najas that has much finer leaves and is more delicate (that was what madasafish gave you).

I originally had like 5 or 6 stalks of it, but it grew so tall I broke them in half and had like 10, now Im up to like 20. Pretty soon Im going to be throwing some away if they keep growing like this.

I gave away the egeria long ago .. what I have now is the anacharis azgardens sent me... and it came in just as thick as you'd expect but grew out much nicer.. longer leaved than the egeria too...

Pretty soon Im going to be throwing some away if they keep growing like this.

Expect to be throwing some away. Anacharis is a weed in most respects, grows like mad and other than chemicals, it's actually difficult to really kill off.

I've always liked the bushier version from growing it under good light myself. Under low light it gets scragly lookin.

Back
Top Bottom