What's the point...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kushgodrex

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the point of an overflow box if you can just put a strainer on a piece of tubing and start a siphon to lead to the sump? It may sound stupid, but I just don't understand other than to skim the top of the water.

The overflow box helps maintain the water level in the display tank as well as helps regulate the amount of water going to the sump. I am assuming that the typical setup includes a box outside of the tank that leads to the sump rather than a siphon running directly to the sump. IMO if the siphon ran directly to the sump and you shut off the return pump, then at what point would the siphon stop? I don't think it would until the siphon would break (via low DT water level) resulting in flooding the sump.

Well I could put a small hole not too far under the water level in the hose, I don't loose water that fast, and I have no problem topping off, the small hole would let air in cutting off the siphon once it goes low, or I could do that but put the hole lower just in case and put sump into a container just big enough to catch any over flow if the power did go out. Think it would work?

If you were to have a power interruption causing the return pump to stop, the water level should drop and break the siphon. If the power resumed the the return pump would overflow to the display tank because the aforementioned siphon was broken during the power outage.

Technically you could get away with a single box outside of the tank to regulate flow and to keep the siphon intact. You can use an adequately sized HOB filter box, bulkhead fitting, and an appropriate u shaped so siphon tube and go the DIY route.

Thank you! Haha, I'd prob spend 100$ just trying to make it. I thought about using PVC but it's just so ugly.

Back
Top Bottom