Whats wrong with my HC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soulstar

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i just setup my 2 foot tank and seems like most of the plants are melting.

I'm doing a fishless cycle, have ADA lights, using DIY co2, but still all the plants are dying, except for the stem plants.

Water parameters are - PH 7.2, GH 8, KH 4, NH3&4 0.0ml.

Any ideas??

Attachments

• image-575663235.jpg
    image-575663235.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 93
Do you have a drop checker to estimate CO2 levels in your tank?
Is there enough flow from your CO2 reactor/diffuser/... to where the little plants are?

Also besides the CO2 questions already asked, what is your lighting and bulbs, and what plants are you growing? Also are you using any ferts?

When did you place them in your tank? Some plants tent to melt while getting used to the new tank conditions. Afterwards they should bounce back.

Which ADA light? What are you doing for ferts? It looks like you have some BGA coming on, which makes me worry about your macro situation.

Where did you buy your HC? A lot of private sellers tend to grow HC emersed because it grows faster and cheaper for them...unfortunately it tends to melt when acclimating to growing immersed. To help HC transition, co2 needs to be in abundance -- sometimes, depending on the volume of the tank and circulation, DIY co2 might not be up to the task. You can give the co2 a boost by supplementing with a liquid carbon (i.e. excel, api co2 booster, or glut).

+1 for adding liquid carbon. I'm still fairly new to the hobby myself and found it really helpful to use a gluteraldehyde based supplement (Excel, EasyCarbo, ...) while experimenting to get the tank's equipment (reactor placement, circulation pumps, ...) and dosages in balance.

In liquid form the carbon spreads a lot easier throughout the tank (benefiting esp. the little plants) and it also works as an algaecide. Imho the best you could do in the short run to save those little plants while you figure out which of the three elements (light / CO2 / ferts) is currently not in balance with the other two.

+1 for adding liquid carbon. I'm still fairly new to the hobby myself and found it really helpful to use a gluteraldehyde based supplement (Excel, EasyCarbo, ...) while experimenting to get the tank's equipment (reactor placement, circulation pumps, ...) and dosages in balance.

In liquid form the carbon spreads a lot easier throughout the tank (benefiting esp. the little plants) and it also works as an algaecide. Imho the best you could do in the short run to save those little plants while you figure out which of the three elements (light / CO2 / ferts) is currently not in balance with the other two.

Should i be adding excel supplement to the co2 bubbles?

Where did you buy your HC? A lot of private sellers tend to grow HC emersed because it grows faster and cheaper for them...unfortunately it tends to melt when acclimating to growing immersed. To help HC transition, co2 needs to be in abundance -- sometimes, depending on the volume of the tank and circulation, DIY co2 might not be up to the task. You can give the co2 a boost by supplementing with a liquid carbon (i.e. excel, api co2 booster, or glut).

I think your right because i know for sure these HC were grown emersed. Ill wait and see what happens

Which ADA light? What are you doing for ferts? It looks like you have some BGA coming on, which makes me worry about your macro situation.

I'm using ADA Aquasky LED, fertilizing with daily bright k and step 3 series (step 1). Can you elaborate on the macro situation?

Do you have a drop checker to estimate CO2 levels in your tank?
Is there enough flow from your CO2 reactor/diffuser/... to where the little plants are?

I don't have a drop checker yet for this tank but have plenty of flow. Maybe ill get the DC soon

Are you monitoring your DIY CO2 injection with a Drop Checker? It's important to know if you're in the "green" so you have an approximation of how much co2 is actually getting diffused in the water.

I would probably dose the Excel as directed unless you see your drop checker in the yellow for any reason. Then you can make adjustments to reduce or increase the dose based on how your DIY setup is performing.

Edit: OKAY... you answered the Drop Checker question while I was typing... yes... you should get one w/ 4dkh reference solution for accuracy.

Last edited:
Are you monitoring your DIY CO2 injection with a Drop Checker? It's important to know if you're in the "green" so you have an approximation of how much co2 is actually getting diffused in the water.

I would probably dose the Excel as directed unless you see your drop checker in the yellow for any reason. Then you can make adjustments to reduce or increase the dose based on how your DIY setup is performing.

Edit: OKAY... you answered the Drop Checker question while I was typing... yes... you should get one w/ 4dkh reference solution for accuracy.

I couldn't be bothered to refill my DIY co2 so just bought high pressure yesterday haha. Will need to get a drop checker now...so much spending

Haha.. yes it is. Well at least with pressurized CO2 you'll have more control. Do you have a lot of options there in S. Korea?

Back
Top Bottom