What's wrong with my platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krayzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
For a while now he has been hiding like 23+ hours a day, he's really skinny, clamped fins, and swims really flimsy. He does come out to eat but doesnt do a great job.

I have a 20 gallon 90% stocked with a 50G AC, fully cycled. All my other fish are great, I even have a 4 month old platy thriving.

He could have any number of issues.
Could you please tell us what your stock is, what your water parameters are, and how long you have had the fish?
At a glance, my first guess is parasites. But that is just a guess based on the skinniness. Is he eating? Any stringy poop?
It never hurts to do a big water change (at least 50%) and see if he perks up any.
If it is internal parasites, Jungle makes an anti-parasite food that I have heard good things about (assuming you are in the US).

Weird I had 2 platty in a 1.77 gallon tank a month ago before i knew what I was doing then 1 died and the other stayed there for a month water changes every other day and then last week he went into my new not fully cycled 20 gallons he acts fine he just went from vibrant yellow to almost clear. I think it was ammonia poisoning

He could have any number of issues.
Could you please tell us what your stock is, what your water parameters are, and how long you have had the fish?
At a glance, my first guess is parasites. But that is just a guess based on the skinniness. Is he eating? Any stringy poop?
It never hurts to do a big water change (at least 50%) and see if he perks up any.
If it is internal parasites, Jungle makes an anti-parasite food that I have heard good things about (assuming you are in the US).

I have 4 albino corys
6 neon tetras
1 Dwarf G
2 platys and their baby

I have had him for maybe 8 months or so

I have to do my 30% water change now in a bit so I will get those after. He does eat, and I have not noticed if he pooped. He hides in a cave all day long. Last night he was taking huge munches at the acrylic.

Ok. It does not sound like you have tankmates that would stress him, and if he is eating but still skinny, internal parasites are indeed likely to blame in my opinion.

Do I have to quarantine during treatment? If its parasites why is he the only affected fish?

No, you do not need to qt him for parasites. Since the other fish have been exposed anyways, it is good to treat the tank in this case. There is not a way to know if the other fish have parasites unless they show symptoms, but they could be harboring it without showing symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom