What's your style? Natural vs Unnatural

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natural or Unnatural?

• Total voters
I prefer natural because of the benefits it has for my fish, and that the added oxygen means I don't need a filter waterfall, quieting the tank.
That's why the question is kind of loaded, having decorations does not preclude having plants.

Definitely natural here. I find it to be more challenging and I love a good challenge!

Natural as possible though I definitely think there is a place for unnatural.

Natural it looks a lot better. My one tank has a few fake plants but that's only because my bottom is sand. All my other tanks are loaded with plants and only natural earth made stuff.

That's why the question is kind of loaded, having decorations does not preclude having plants.

Exactly... That's why even my natural tanks will tend to have unnatural decorations. Trying to find a rock or driftwood with all the nooks, crannies, and caves that I want for my fish is hard without going super expensive in time hunting for the right piece as well as money buying it. Plus my husband LOVES sunken ships, so my 75 gallon has one of those to make him happy. It looks fantastically overgrown now :)

Bit of both though leaning towards natural.

My tank is planted and also has 3 cuts of driftwood and 2 rocks.

But I have one resin decoration of a bansai tree (I liked the look of it and the base has a little cave in it which the neon tetras just love darting in and out of) but have also tied java moss to the tree branches which gives it a live flowing look.

It's my only fake decoration.

When I mean fake, I mean full on pink and purple not resin plants.

Agreed! I may be an adult, but I still appreciate color too. That's why I love the contrast of having both unnatural and natural tanks.

My as unnatural as it gets tank:
img_2958234_0_73272f393daa4d05f4f3930b59c38c75.jpg

My mostly natural, heavy planted tank:
img_2958234_1_982d7a21a7d0b175e92626ffced11263.jpg

Old pics for both, but you see my point... I like variety between my tanks, otherwise they start blending together.

I'd live to see more pictures

I like natural. I do not mind having "fake" decoratings, I just don't like colorful stuff. I have a fake peice of wood in my tank.

Here is one of my planted tanks
It's only 5 months old though

But I do have a "fake" betta tank, because that was the only extra gravel and decorations I had. But I threw in some clippings to make it look natural.

Agreed! I may be an adult, but I still appreciate color too. That's why I love the contrast of having both unnatural and natural tanks.

My as unnatural as it gets tank ..............

Very nice & creative on the colors.

You should make a video of your "unnatural" tank and post it on youtube .

Old Scales - Why are you not posting your latest "natural" tank

Hey MeCasa,
I grew up in Pasadena. Lived there until I was 19. We were called refinery brats. OS.
You're too modest. I ran accross (one of) your latest pics ........ and all I can say is wow (y)

OK everyone ...... for a nice job with the "natural" look, go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/old-scales-29g-rescape-4-month-update-310155.html

I love the natural look but since I have a "brown thumb" meaning any plant I touch (be it on my lawn or in my aquariums, turns to $@#% :(.

So I just do the best I can with silk plants, driftwood, rocks and fake ornaments. But I love looking at the nice job the rest of you do :banghead:

Natural tanks are way better in my opinion. I don't like fake decorated tanks, and blue/pink gravel makes me cringe. ?

Ah yes, must admit pink gravel I find an eyesore. :) Everything else I don't mind or can appreciate but that gets me for some reason.

Probably because it takes away from the true beauty of aquariums. It's too bright too. I think black gravel is the best way to go for any tank.

Probably because it takes away from the true beauty of aquariums. It's too bright too. I think black gravel is the best way to go for any tank.

Yes, makes sense - too overpowering as it's everywhere. I like muted or natural colours in gravel with some bright ornaments ok. Seen some nice Lego settings though :)

I was going to do an unnatural tank for my stepsons room, but I ended up putting in live plants, so I guess you could may it's a hybrid - Blue gravel, 1 fakey castle ornament, 3 plastic plants, and real java ferns and anubias - I'm taking out the fake plants once the real ones grow in, but I have recently found that one of the fake plants makes an EXCELLENT prop to keep my ugly heater hidden and flush with the side of the tank (it was a free heater, came without suction cups).

It's hard to go back to plastic plants after you go natural....but they can look nice when done right. Many people I see buy the "Mardi Gras" gravel, a bright busy coral reef background, and several crazy ornaments.....I always want to say "your fish must be HIDEOUS is you want to hide them so bad". :angel:

I like both to be honest! I like natural rocks and sand I don't like planted tanks where it's so overgrown you can't see anything but the plants! I have my 55 gallon and 90 gallon as fake and my 55 is beautiful since I just got my 90 I'm changing it to natural soon but not for the start

All my tanks started out looking like willy wonkas factory.. now I'm proud to say the only man made objects in them is heaters and filters. .. I like thinking that the scape I choose would vest resemble what the fish would be chilling in at the bottom of a lake... if I notice structure not.being utilized I'll shift it to make it more appealing..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom