when a puffer puffs up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so every morning when i wake up i go and turn on the lights on my GSPs tank. This morning I woke up and did the same thing, except i slept in so i was about half an hour late. Well Verde (my GSP) comes and greets me at the front of the tank, "yawns" and puffs up! He was a good 3 inches from side to side, if not a bit more. And then deflates him self and swims away, I feed him his krill and he continues on like normal.

Now here I am sitting there saying "that was the coolest thing i've ever seen" but thinking about it. Ive read that puffers only "puff up" when theyre threatened or stressed. So I checked my water params. Everything checked out good.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 10-20
Ph: around 7.5
Salinty: 1.006

Should I be worried about this? Or was this just a fluke, or maybe the light startled him?

ok, thanks! That really was the coolest thing i ever saw, i wish i had a camera in my hand when he did that.

I'm just curious, what was the timing of the lights turning on and him puffing up?

The way you describe it it sounds kind of like he did it purposefully.

probably about 30 seconds after a turned the lights on he puffed up. i was talking to some people on puffer forum and they said puffers actually "practice" puffing in captivity. so i've narrowed it down to that....he was just practicing? lol because it wasnt really lights turning on and he puffed up immediately. the lights turned on, he swam up to me, "yawned" and then PUFF and deflate lol

Back
Top Bottom