When should I see spikes?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been fish in cycling for a week now and my parameters aren't changing at all, just wondering when I should start seeing something? I even had seeded media!

With seeded material, I could GUESS that the cycle is happening very quickly! If not, give it some time, cycling is never the same in any two tanks...

You may not see any spikes if your using seeded media to start. Just keep monitoring everything- if everything stays stable for atleast another week, you can stock a few more fish slowly & gradually while continueing to monitor your water parameters. Good luck! :)

You may not see any spikes if your using seeded media to start. Just keep monitoring everything- if everything stays stable for atleast another week, you can stock a few more fish slowly & gradually while continueing to monitor your water parameters. Good luck! :)
+1. Keep testing!

With seeded material, I could GUESS that the cycle is happening very quickly! If not, give it some time, cycling is never the same in any two tanks...
I guess Im getting a little impatient lol, I just see NO change at all! I even went away for 2 days and when I returned the ammonia was still only .25 then zero's down the rest of the board.

Thank you! I upgraded my filter to a AquaClear 110, well its still in the box. My question is how should I swap them out? Should I run both for awhle? I did purchase another active filter from Angels Plus and that will be here in a couple hours. I read the directions for the new filter and it seems that it is alot different from the filter running, as in there is nowhere to put active media?! How should I seed the new filter? It has layers of foam, active carbon and biomax.

Thank you! I upgraded my filter to a AquaClear 110, well its still in the box. My question is how should I swap them out? Should I run both for awhle? I did purchase another active filter from Angels Plus and that will be here in a couple hours. I read the directions for the new filter and it seems that it is alot different from the filter running, as in there is nowhere to put active media?! How should I seed the new filter? It has layers of foam, active carbon and biomax.

Do you plan on using both filters (or keeping 1 running for a qt or another tank)? If so, I would run them both for a couple of weeks together to seed the new one. If you only plan on using one filter, you can move the media from the old filter to the new filter without an issue. I would use the foam & biomax & skip the carbon. You can add the angels media (cut up) to the new filter, too or run it seperately with an airpump.

Do you plan on using both filters (or keeping 1 running for a qt or another tank)? If so, I would run them both for a couple of weeks together to seed the new one. If you only plan on using one filter, you can move the media from the old filter to the new filter without an issue. I would use the foam & biomax & skip the carbon. You can add the angels media (cut up) to the new filter, too or run it seperately with an airpump.
I am unsure on if Im going to use both or not :/ My husband complains about the original one being too loud. I have an empty 20 gallon that I was planning on turning into a turtle tank for my Painted, Turkles. But I dont think the HOB filter is going to work for that so I think Im gonna do the qt. My turtle is just a little larger than a quarter so I have some time before I move him :) So you are saying I should leave the carbon out and then transfer cut up pieces of the active filter in its place? I can do that :) I was confused on how I would fit it because it doesnt use traditional cartridges like a whisper filter.

Yes, stuff them in! I actually dont have any aquaclear filters but my other filters are stuffed to the max with filter foam (sponges) so there is no 'empty' space. Do your best- if there is simply no room for the angels media, run it with an airpump instead. You can pick up a small one at walmart for under $10. Hope this helps!

Yes, stuff them in! I actually dont have any aquaclear filters but my other filters are stuffed to the max with filter foam (sponges) so there is no 'empty' space. Do your best- if there is simply no room for the angels media, run it with an airpump instead. You can pick up a small one at walmart for under $10. Hope this helps!
I already have one :) My fish love to play in my bubble wand :) Oh the Aquaclear is sooo much different than a regular filter! The media stacks horizontally on top of each other, it doesnt appear to have room for anything else, unless I replace the carbon with the active media :) Thank you so much for your input, its definitely appreciated!

This may be a dumb question... Am I changing too much water? I change at least 70% sometimes more... That isnt having an effect, is it? Should I hold off on a water change?

I would say 50% is your best bet. 70% is a lot of water to change, but can be healthy if the water is in bad condition. With you cycling and all, 50% would be plenty.

This may be a dumb question... Am I changing too much water? I change at least 70% sometimes more... That isnt having an effect, is it? Should I hold off on a water change?

Nothing wrong with big water changes- I am a big fan of them! As you are only seeing .25ppm ammonia, a real big wc isnt necessary but it also will not hurt anything either. If your using Prime or similar type product that helps to bind ammonia/nitrite/nitrate for @48hrs, you probably only need to do wcs every other day if your ammonia isnt spiking over .25ppm- if it does start to rise, do a wcs. If you are unsure about whether to do one or not, always err on the side of caution & do one anyway. :)

jlk said:
Nothing wrong with big water changes- I am a big fan of them! As you are only seeing .25ppm ammonia, a real big wc isnt necessary but it also will not hurt anything either. If your using Prime or similar type product that helps to bind ammonia/nitrite/nitrate for @48hrs, you probably only need to do wcs every other day if your ammonia isnt spiking over .25ppm- if it does start to rise, do a wcs. If you are unsure about whether to do one or not, always err on the side of caution & do one anyway. :)

I'm trying to eleviate all the stress on my fish during this cycle with wcs! I just want them happy and healthy and a wc is the best way I know how! I have OCD and I may go overboard at times lol. The new filter is stuffed to the max with the active filter I got in the mail today but because I did that I can't turn the flow down and my little fish don't want to swim to the other side of the tank lol. I do use prime :) it stinks lol.

Also, am I supposed to see Trites before Trates? Just curious!

Nothing wrong with keeping your fish healthy & happy!! Keep up the good work! Typically, you will see nitrites before nitrates. You probably wont with all the cyled media your using- your ammonia may go straight to nitrates. Just keep an eye on all your levels & see what happens! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom