Where am I at in my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is from this morning. Tanks been up a week now and has been getting steady doses of Stability. I moved plants and rocks over from an established tank into here slowly over the past week. What do these results tell you where I'm at in my cycle?

1480873074648.jpg

You look good?
False positive or low on ammonia ?
Why are you using high range pH when you are at the bottom of that scale?
As a rule for test I do the same everytime.
Always against the same white background[my wall /the card....] under the same lighting...

I forgot what color I got in the regular pH test but it wasn't a color that was on the chart

Are you sure you didn't accidentally mix up your nitrate and pH tubes?
I think the colors look like they're switched. The tube on the far left looks like ~5ppm nitrates, and the tube on the far right looks like ~8.0-8.2 pH (very normal for tap water, many cities have naturally hard water).
Also make sure you're filling the vials to the 5 ml mark.
Does not look like your cycle has even started if the tank has only been running a week. You need to either add an ammonia source, or get some filter media from an established tank to add to your filter.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally mix up your nitrate and pH tubes?
I think the colors look like they're switched. The tube on the far left looks like ~5ppm nitrates, and the tube on the far right looks like ~8.0-8.2 pH (very normal for tap water, many cities have naturally hard water).
Also make sure you're filling the vials to the 5 ml mark.
Does not look like your cycle has even started if the tank has only been running a week. You need to either add an ammonia source, or get some filter media from an established tank to add to your filter.

How do you explain not having bright yellow [zero] nitrates if the cycle is not even started????You even think if it is screwed up he has 5ppm ???or 8.2:whistle:

My water consistently gives me a 7.6 to 7.8 pH reading

It's common for some nitrates to be present in tap water. Or maybe it could be from decorations or substrate. Many possibilities.
You think he could've had an ammonia spike, nitrite spike, and then both zeroing out in a week? The nitrite portion alone takes much longer than that.
And just saying, I've done these tests a thousand times and the tube on the left looks more orange than even the 7.8 pH reading and the tube on the right looks much more pink than any nitrate tests read.

Back
Top Bottom