Where are my RCS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

So I've been wanting to get RCS in my 10gal for quite some time. I've been trying to wait it out since the LFS sells them at $5 each.. Yikes! But I finally gave in and took all they had...which was just 4. :(

Anyway as soon as I acclimated them, all they do is hide in the guppy grass except for one brave soul, who is happy roaming around my tank. The tank just has 3 juvie guppy and some newborn guppy fry.

Is this normal?? Kinda bummed I spent $20 on these little buggars that I never see

In a 10 gallon with only 4, you probably won't see them much - shrimp love to hide. Also, if they weren't in a tank with fish at the lfs they might be spooked about having fish around them. If you're looking for cheap RCS in the future, look online. I've seen RCS sold for as cheap as 95 cents per shrimp online, much better than lfs prices. You could get 10 or so and then you probably would see them more often :)

Hi everyone!

So I've been wanting to get RCS in my 10gal for quite some time. I've been trying to wait it out since the LFS sells them at $5 each.. Yikes! But I finally gave in and took all they had...which was just 4. :(

Anyway as soon as I acclimated them, all they do is hide in the guppy grass except for one brave soul, who is happy roaming around my tank. The tank just has 3 juvie guppy and some newborn guppy fry.

Is this normal?? Kinda bummed I spent $20 on these little buggars that I never see

Guppies are horrible tankmates for rcs. Terrorize the poor littme guys.

Agreed with what's been said. This is normal behavior for RCS as long as there are fish in the tank, the RCS are going to hide. I see the difference in my tanks .... they hide in my 75gal and are out and about in my RCS tank.

Even if you do rehome them to their own tank, chances are they'll still hide for a while as there are only 4. Once they get comfortable and start to breed, their numbers will increase and you'll see them out constantly.

they aren't necessarily the best, but I bet I could find a lot worse of tankmates for them......I think for maximum activity level, you should have them in a tank of their own.

My guppies made my rcs miserable. They even killed a mystery snail...

Thank you!

Ill think about setting up my spare tank and getting them out once it's all set up. Do you think it is possible that I have both sexes of RCS in just those 4?

Thank you!

Ill think about setting up my spare tank and getting them out once it's all set up. Do you think it is possible that I have both sexes of RCS in just those 4?

Hopefully yes, post pics and we can help. The easiest way is females tend to be redder and have a rounded bottom of the abdomen.

Many are sold here too on AA. For $20 you could have had about 10 of them shipped, or more it depends on the weather alot which size box, envelope. If you are further interested let me know.

Back
Top Bottom