Where do I get Jungle Internal Parasite Meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amaniato

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a koi that I know has internal parasites and I have been told Jungle Internal Parasite meds works great but I do not know where to get it. It is not avail on line or any pet store. Any suggestions where I can get some. Anyone have any extra they want to sell? Help !!!

Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please provide us with some more information so we can better help you? Parameters? Stocking? Diet? Where this fish is being kept and the maintenance schedule? Specific symptoms and why you believe internal parasites are the issue here?

You will likely not find this specific med as Jungle was bought out by Tetra and the majority of the line of products were either discontinued or rebranded. Once we have a better idea of the issues your facing, we can offer some alternative options. :)

Internal Parasites

My koi is in a 55gal tank. I have had him over 3yrs. He was given to me by my local pet store owner because they had him for 6 months and he ate all the time and kept wasting away to the point where he was a big head with a skeletal body. I feed him everything from pellet food to earthworms I dig up from outside (his favorite). When I first got him years ago, I treated him for everything and nothing. A friend had the Jungle Internal Parasite Med and I tried 4 courses of the medication and he started eating and gained weight. He looked like my other koi, fat around the belly and tail, until recently and it's starting again. Also, no matter how much I feed him, he never produces any waste. I hope this helps give you a better idea what is wrong with him. One last note, he is pure white and does not have any signs of sores, missing scales, or bugs on his body. He does not rub on the bottom, but he does suck up the tank medium(crushed shells) after he eats, they spits it out. Help!

Do you actually see him eat food? For him to be rapidly losing weight and there is no waste to be seen, it honestly sounds like he is not actually ingesting anything. For him to contract an internal bug issue, it would mean he was exposed to other unquarantined fish since you last treated him. Is this the case? Can please also post your water parameters and water change schedule as well?

The Jungle anti-parasite food contained metronidazole, praziquantel and levamisole. I do not know of any medicated food produced presently that contains this combination of ingredients (a very strong combo, too). My suggestion would be to purchase MetroMeds from the Goldfish Connection (a metronidazole medicated goldfish food) along with praziquantel for the tank. If after 14 days of treatment there is no improvement, we can offer additional suggestions.

Ok, here is the bad news. What I am suspicious of is that you mention there is no waste/weight loss and that he is mouthing the crushed shells. There is a possibility he may have swallowed some and they have caused an impaction in his digestive tract. This would require veterinary intervention. The other possibility is that he is simply suffering the long term effects of stunting. A 3+year old koi raised under appropriate conditions would be difficult to fit in a tiny 55g tank.

I would suggest giving the MetroMeds along with the prazi a try unless you are able to seek an aquatic vet for more specific help. I would also increase your water change schedule dramatically (75+% every 3 days before, during and after treatment). Make sure the water is properly conditioned and temperature matched. If there any level of toxins present, increase the water changes to daily. Please do not hesitate to ask questions and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom