where to buy co2 canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
For christmas I got a c02 regulator and bubble counter and basically everything I need for co2 but the c02 canister which can't be shipped. Where do I buy that?

Wow, congrats! I still use the yeast method, but I have read that you can get the CO2 canister at a beverage bottling company or a welding shop. Call ahead to see which ones can offer this service to you. I'm sure some of them are familiar with people buying the canisters for their fish tanks!

CO2 canisters can be shipped but they have to come empty. A local welding shop is your best bet. Aluminum canisters are much lighter but will cost 10-15 dollars more than a steel one. Expect to pay anywhere from $60-$85 for a canister. You will also need co2 safe tubing for your setup. Silicone tubing works ok but will harden over time.

www.aquariumplants.com sells CO2 cylinders...prolly worth comparing their price to somewhere locally, just in case.

I would try your welding shop first. They may have a leasing program, where you put a deposit on the cylinder, and then just swap it and pay for a fill when it's empty.
Owning your own cylinder has some disadvantages...places tend to only fill them on weekdays, and you have to wait for the fill. Every few years it needs a saftey test donee which runs around $25 and they may need the tank 48 hours.

Also, some places are shady and will swap your cylinder for one of their filled ones. That's the scam my welding shop pulled...told me it was a deposit, then call it a sale, and I can't get my full deposit back :(

Oh, aquariumplants.com also sells CO2 tubing, as to many other online vendors. its usually not easy to find locally since the diameter we need it's used for many applications...sort of a specialty item.

If you decide to buy one instead of leasing, try a fire extinguisher shop. Some shops sell CO2 tanks for a good price. But shop around; I have seen a big difference in price from place to place.

Regards,
Alex

talloulou - I ended up renting mine from National Welders. They are a national chain of welding supply stores and while they looked at me funny when I told them why I wanted it. It was simple & painless afterwards :)

Back
Top Bottom