Where to buy killifish online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruffers99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a good look around for trusted online livestock suppliers, but I cant seem to find anyone who can supply killifish? I see egg's everywhere, but no livestock. anyone got any leads on where to go for these fish and why they cant be easily found online? I think they are stunning!! :)

:thanks:

The eggs are the way.. the really snazzy ones are usually annuals, they don't live very long. They may not ship all.that well either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The eggs are the way.. the really snazzy ones are usually annuals, they don't live very long. They may not ship all.that well either.

ok thanks Brookster, sounds daunting, but I will research it. Do they not live ling even if you raise them?

The eggs come dehydrated, simply throw them in a tank and they should hatch. the idea is to create a colony that reproduces, i had 3 generations going in one tank. They may live a year individually but the colony can live for as long as you'd like.

Just be careful with tank mates, they can be mean little buggers! I had a m/f pair of Gardneri killies and they massacred half of the stock in my 55 gallon overnight. Could be an isolated incident but I'm wary of them now. But they are indeed stunning fish. Look up on youtube hatching killifish eggs and there are quite a few videos about it. :)

Just be careful with tank mates, they can be mean little buggers! I had a m/f pair of Gardneri killies and they massacred half of the stock in my 55 gallon overnight. Could be an isolated incident but I'm wary of them now. But they are indeed stunning fish. Look up on youtube hatching killifish eggs and there are quite a few videos about it. :)

I had a pair go ballistic over night as well. The ended up in a species only tank.. really where they belong..

Yeah, thanks guys ... !! i never thought of trying to rear these myself, its kinda tweaking my interest though the more I think about it. And yes I see vids with plastic Tupperware, but I would think that they wouldn't last 2 minutes in the tank.

I think it would be quite an achivement for myself if I could sucsessfully raise some of these fantastic looking fish. I guess if it worked out and I only wanted a couple I could give/sell the rest back to my LFS .. :cool::cool:

nice .. thanks guys. will let you know how it pans out. (y)(y)

Back
Top Bottom