Where to buy pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where is the best place to buy a small pond? Honestly I just want it to transfer my reef tank into for a couple days while I get my new tank in place. Thanks.

Not sure I understand? Why don't you just buy a tank, even used and put some LR that has been cycled so you can put your fish in a temporary home?

They will only be in the pond for a couple hours while I move the location of the tank they are in now. Maybe I will look into getting a plastic kiddie pool.

Why not just use a rubbermaid container? You can reuse it over and over again for all kinds of things aquarium related.

I though about doing that, but the problem is that I would need about 4 of them. Which means 4-heaters 4-powerheads etc. I will go to Home Depot and Lowes tomorrow. I hope they sell pond shells.

Beware of plastic kiddy pool ... some are algaecide/mildewcide impregnated so won't be too good.

We have pond shells at the local HD & most landscaping supply places. I have also seen 50+ gal rubbermaid containers, may be another choice.

I don't know how well the shells would hold out without dirt supporting them. I would go with something like this. I know my Lowes sells them, I just could not find a link on their site.

rubbermaid makes livestock troughs. I bought a 50gallon for $70 at a farm supply store. They're sturdy, uv resistant and fairly light. I've got 3 comets, a shubunkin and a sarasa comet in one outside right now. All of them are about 4" long and doing well outside in central NC in december. It's about a foot deep when filled to the brim. There're pics up in my photos.

I got it because I'm not settled on where to dig a pond in my yard yet, but wanted to keep some former classroom comets around after they outgrew the 20gal. My toddler added the fancies after. . .

I checked that phot RM posted, it's the same thing. The one pictured has a drain knocked out in the front center. That drain may be an aftermarket change. The one I bought did not have that cut out although there's a flat surface that one could drill if they wished.

I saw a 100gal at the local science museum in their farmyard exhibit and that gave me the idea.

I went to my local Lowes and they had a 50-gallon Rubbermaid Container. I think that will be my best bet it was only $20. I also checked out Target today and they have a Sterilite Container 45-gallons for $18. I think either of these will be fine since I only plan on having my reef tank in there for a few hours until I can transfer my current tank and then put everything back in it. Thanks everybody.

I wouldn't trust a standard container to hold with the weight of the water. I have a 27 gallon heavy duty container from Lowes that works great even for long term storage (6+ months driftwood soaking/temporary aquarium). They are rated for 400lbs, ,so you can actually move them with water inside.

A picture can be found at the top of this page.

I did use that 50-gallon rubbermaid storage container. I just finished it about an hour ago. I'm glad I didn't read the last post until now that I am done, because it would have worried me. However, it last post is probably correct because the rubbermaid was bowing out on the sides big time. I will post pics of it in my build thread under saltwater reef aquaria later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom