Where to go next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started my first saltwater tank about a month ago. So new to this aspect of fish husbandry. But have read quite a bit before starting and have gone quite slow.

Tank setup: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435770067.403328.jpg

15 gallon
15 lbs of live rock.
Started beginning of June.
Nitrate 5ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ph 8.2
Ca 390
Salinity 1.023

Inhabitants:
1 hermit crab(I believe dwarf red tip was a hitchhiker)

Filtration:
Diy 10g sump
Protein skimmer rated for 30g
Refugium of chaetomorpha bunch.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435770822.072767.jpg

Flow of 2 hydor 565 circulation pumps.

Heater: 50w

Lighting: sitting in its box a Mars Aqua 165w LED. On the tank is a small 3200k fluorescent only turned on for viewing. 6500k grow light suspended above the sump for the chaetomorpha.

I kinda would like some pointers on what to add, what to add first, and what quantities.

Looking for 2 fish as colourful as possible?

Proper corals

And clean up crew.

Also started a 5 gallon for Copepods since need to upgrade my diy sump since separation between return and refugium just flooded them into tank.(Basically I suck at glass cutting lol) and they just flooded into the main tank.

Any pointers or corrective action will be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As far as CUC you could look at all the smaller hermits just as Scarlet, Zebra, and yellow tips. Peppermint shrimp and skunk cleaners are pretty awesome as well.

Take a look at fire fish, they stay small and are very pretty.

Your tank is still a bit new for corals though. Take a look at softies, they are the easiest to grow and as far as lighting requirements.

Caleb

Plus one for te fire fish an the soft corals.
Good corals to start out with are green star polyps, pulsing xena, and mushrooms.
Firefish are great for that size tank though make sure you have a tight lid. Also neon gobies, green clown, or cirtus gobies are great candidates.
I have a mixture of blue legs, Scarlets, an a white hermit crab that is unknown at this time in my 10g

Waited a bit longer but picked up a purple firefish today.

Wanted to give more time for the chaeto to grow some more.

Will post pics after I turn lights back on since turned off after acclimating (2 hour drip) to reduce stress of the new tank.

Waited a bit longer but picked up a purple firefish today.

Wanted to give more time for the chaeto to grow some more.

Will post pics after I turn lights back on since turned off after acclimating (2 hour drip) to reduce stress of the new tank.

Great choice in fish :) those have always caught my eye they are gorgeous.

Caleb

Don't worry about buying more cheato. Soon enough you'll have enough you'll want to give it away!

Wanted nitrates somewhat handled in the system, since so small.

Was also fighting with my protein skimmer wasn't producing any skim.

Felt safer adding fish after it was for a week. What I get for buying something on sale lol.

Well no picture yet, he's been in the rock work all morning lol.

Maybe will try tempting him out with some mysis shrimp tomorrow or add some Copepods from the sump to the main.

Purple firefish are beautiful. I'm thinking about adding one to my 55 as well as the common one. Great fish with a bad habit of jumping

Purple firefish are beautiful. I'm thinking about adding one to my 55 as well as the common one. Great fish with a bad habit of jumping

Already had a lid on the tank so luckily didn't need to add anything for him/herImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436651240.790372.jpg

Man great colors on that one! I remover a long time ago. I was drip acculmating my firefish an the drab thing was already jumping

Mine hasn't jumped tbh, though there was already a lid on the tank before I decided on him. After I placed him in the tank he picked out this one entrance crevice in the rock work and hovers in a 5 inch area around it and darts back in his crevice when anyone moves too fast near the tank lol.

Ok with my purple firefish, would a single yellow striped Cardinal fish work as the only other fish in my tank?

I am detecting 0 nitrates though still doing a 20% PWC a week for the eventually of adding coral.

I am running a 10 gallon tank as a sump with chaeto so no unexpected on nitrates but mainly asking for temperaments.

Back
Top Bottom